A few first shots with my new Z7

Real Name
Ian
Thanks Ian. I'm liking both the camera and the quality of the images from the Z7 and its lenses so I'm definitely here to stay for a while. I'm going to go cold turkey with it and leave the Oly gear in the cupboard. If after a month I've not had any need or desire to go back to it, then it's off to eBay for my landscape trio (8mm f1.8 FE, 8-18/2.8-4, 12-100/4). I'll then get the 24-200.

That'll leave me with the EM1.2 plus 40-150 + TC for long lens use. I may at some point replace that with the 70-300 AFP since I'll get cash back on the deal and will get pretty much the same reach, but obviously down a couple of stops on aperture which the better ISO performance will make up. Anyhow, time will tell. The EM1.2 is a very fast camera, much faster than the Z7 so I may stick with it.
I can’t comment on the AF speed of the Z7, but I found that my Z6 was no worse in C-AF performance than my E-M1 II. It’s still not at the level of my D500 though, so when shooting action I always have a D500 with me (the camera that originally began pulling me away from my Olympus gear).

I have the 70-300 AF-P, and it is a very impressive lens given it’s price. Fast AF, optically sharp, and light weight (plastic body).

Yes Jim - fixed now. A fine shot - and indeed, very close to where I took mine. And as a glider pilot, my immediate reaction is "just look at that sky!!". Interestingly, the two trees to the right of the old building that are visible in your shot are now gone.
Yes, I had puffy clouds, but you had better light overall, and I prefer your composition.

You live in a beautiful area. But so do we, just very different.

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
Well, I'm very happy with my new Z7. Maybe it's psychological, but I'm definitely preferring the output to the Z6 I had briefly a month or so ago. The IQ is a notable step up from the Olympus E-M1ii though. It's not about sharpness or resolution - it's more about tonality and the depth of the colours. Hard to explain, but I'm finding that images have a more natural look. M43 files are still very good - but they are more "punchy" and in your face, whereas the Z7 is more subtle but all the more pleasing for it. I'm also bowled over with both the 24-70 and the 14-30 Z lenses. The 14-30 in particular is quite amazing. I guess I've got a good copy, because at f8 it's very sharp across pretty much the entire frame. Maybe a little softening in the corners, but nothing to get upset about.

Anyhow, here are a few images from my first real outing with it. Nothing spectacular - it was damp and overcast and mid-afternoon. Some more interesting landscape shooting will have to wait a little longer.

All were shot in Chipping Campden - a small town in the "Cotswolds" area of the UK. Amongst other things, it's known for its lovely yellow stone - which you can see a lot of here. And yeah - I shot the Almhouses at f4 - still learning to get on top of the slightly different operation from the Oly!
Pleased you are happy with the Z7 and I see that you are putting it to good use. I too find it a great piece of kit.

When I moved from M43 to Nikon FF, I too noticed the better colour tonality and transitions. It is something that hardly ever gets mentioned in those M43 VV FF arguments that dwell mostly on noise and lens DoF.

My first FF an ancient D700 had something about the output that was so subtle. I mostly stopped using M43 from then on. I quickly cobbled together a DSLR FF kit on the cheap with SH bargains. My Z7 kit was the big upgrade.

Real Name
Paul
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Pleased you are happy with the Z7 and I see that you are putting it to good use. I too find it a great piece of kit.

When I moved from M43 to Nikon FF, I too noticed the better colour tonality and transitions. It is something that hardly ever gets mentioned in those M43 VV FF arguments that dwell mostly on noise and lens DoF.

My first FF an ancient D700 had something about the output that was so subtle. I mostly stopped using M43 from then on. I quickly cobbled together a DSLR FF kit on the cheap with SH bargains. My Z7 kit was the big upgrade.
It's true that there are some spectacular bargains in FF DSLR cameras. Even the lowly old Canon 5D (original) had a certain "look" to it. However, I'm never going back to a DSLR - mirrorless just speaks to me more!

On the tonality front - it's interesting that it's something that we've both spotted but which, as you say, doesn't get a lot of airtime in the format wars. I guess it's hard to quantify - a bit like the old Hi Fi reviews when the authors would wax lyrical about "frequencies above the waist" or such like :).

Anyhow, I'm sure it's real - I posted an image earlier that I took this evening. I love the tones on it and I'm pretty sure I'd have struggled to get the same look from the EM1.2:

https://www.nikoncafe.com/threads/deep-in-the-motherlode.323299/

Real Name
Paul
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@pdk42 ,

I've had the pleasure of following your work and meeting you in person.
I don't think it matters what camera you have in your hand - you'll produce magic.

I'm glad you found what you were looking for in the Nikon Z7.
Looking forward to your images in the future!
Andrew - that’s a lovely post. Thank you. I doubly appreciate it coming from someone with your talent !

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
It's true that there are some spectacular bargains in FF DSLR cameras. Even the lowly old Canon 5D (original) had a certain "look" to it. However, I'm never going back to a DSLR - mirrorless just speaks to me more!

On the tonality front - it's interesting that it's something that we've both spotted but which, as you say, doesn't get a lot of airtime in the format wars. I guess it's hard to quantify - a bit like the old Hi Fi reviews when the authors would wax lyrical about "frequencies above the waist" or such like :).

Anyhow, I'm sure it's real - I posted an image earlier that I took this evening. I love the tones on it and I'm pretty sure I'd have struggled to get the same look from the EM1.2:

https://www.nikoncafe.com/threads/deep-in-the-motherlode.323299/
Yes, that lovely image you linked to is a good example of that certain "look" you get with a bigger sensor in certain situations.

I believe amongst imaging professionals it is a well known trait, thus the use of medium format for high end work.

I believe that the better tonal transitions are due having lesser sensor noise with a bigger sensor. It is the same reason we can extract far more details from the shadows with a FF sensor.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom