A Few Firsts for Me

Real Name
Dan
Haven't been shooting much lately. A friend invited me to accompany him on a birding tour at a local wildlife reserve. As we all know there's a big difference in birding and photography. It was enjoyable outing but didn't yield much in the way of photos. I did get a few long range shots of species I've never shot before. Never even seen a phalarope before.

1) First ever avocet. There were a bunch of them on this mud flat but they were camera shy.
p3851736861-6.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2) Cedar waxwings. Seen plenty of these back before I was into photography. They could have picked a better spot but hey... Up home we have bohemians.
p3851736858-6.jpg

3) Blue wing teal. Another photographic first though seen plenty of them. None came close enough for individual shots so settled for the flock.
p3851736862-6.jpg

4) More blue wings. I ran this one through The bottom bird was slipping out of DOF so I ran it through Topaz AI Sharpen. Meh....
p3851736860-6.jpg

Last edited:
Real Name
Dan
The second one would make a fabulous note card. What causes you disappointment about the spot the birds picked? I ask because it seems to be ideal to me.
I'm not fond of that sort of pale sky as a BG. Though you make a good point about the note card.
Love those Cedar Waxwings, nicely done.
Thanks, Louie.
Nice set. I always enjoy seeing Blue-winged Teal. The first photo is an American Avocet, not a phalarope.
Ooops. My brain knew that but my fingers didn't cooperate. Not sure why I typed phalarope. We see them quite often on Prince William Sound. These little guys:
p877065294-5.jpg

I like the blue wing teals. Good capture of the blue.
Thanks, Allan. Interesting the blue on top of the wings is iridescent and only shows up at certain angles. I shot several frames of a couple of flocks and that is the only shot that showed the blue. I kicked the saturation on the blue channel a bit also to highlight it.

Latest threads

Top Bottom