1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

A few from Baylands Preserve

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Phil K, Jul 8, 2008.

1. I'm in Palo Alto these few days and today took some time to visit the Baylands. It's 100 ºF and I had to leave after walking for a few hours. I was without my usual birding gear and these were taken with the 80-400VR handheld.

original.
    NIKON D3    ---    400mm    f/8.0    1/1000s    ISO 360

original.
    NIKON D3    ---    400mm    f/8.0    1/1000s    ISO 280

original.
    NIKON D3    ---    400mm    f/10.0    1/640s    ISO 400

original.
    NIKON D3    ---    400mm    f/9.0    1/500s    ISO 250

original.
    NIKON D3    ---    400mm    f/9.0    1/500s    ISO 200

original.
    NIKON D3    ---    400mm    f/10.0    1/1000s    ISO 450

original.
    NIKON D3    ---    330mm    f/10.0    1/1000s    ISO 6400

original.
    NIKON D3    ---    400mm    f/10.0    1/1000s    ISO 450

original.
    NIKON D3    ---    400mm    f/10.0    1/1000s    ISO 400

The heat made me dizzy and I missed the focus. But I was able to find a nest with a little one.

original.
    NIKON D3    ---    400mm    f/10.0    1/1000s    ISO 1000

2. WOW! Wonderful shots, Phil! Next time you're out, be sure to take plenty of water. I especially like pelican and the phteasant! Nice shootin!

3. Very nice series of all the usual suspects. Well done.

4. Beautiful series of shots Phil, I love the 2nd one.

5. Some beautiful shots Phil. Are to pick between the pheasant and the Avocet, both are my picks as to favorites. Well done!

6. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    Nice set Phil, you are in my neck of the woods (or bay:biggrin:)  The baylands is one of our best birding areas.

7. Thank you Dianne. And thanks for the reminder. Yes, we need a lot of water in this weather.

Thank you very much Warren.

Thank you Gordon. I'm very happy to see the Avocets as they are different from the ones we have.

Thank you Louie. I tracked the pheasant for quite a while and it came out to give me a nice capture.

Thank you Troy. It's really a nice place, and not far away. I can see how exciting it would be when the migrating birds arrive.

8. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi phil-

i drive by there every day (and used to work right next to it, right by the exit at 101) and have always wondered if there's anything worth shooting. after seeing your photos, i should probably stop there one day!

the weather is uncomfortably hot this week. glad to see that you braved the heat to take good photos.

ricky

9. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

10. Amazing the BCNH allowed you to get so close. Fabulous series Phil!

11. Humanoid

Humanoid

Apr 24, 2006
    Nice variety and beautiful images Phil. Be careful of that heat it can sneak up on you even after your outing.

Ray

12. Phil these are terrific. Looks like the California birds have been treating you well.

13. Slingher

Slingher

Jun 30, 2007
    Titusville FL
    Great job Phil!! I have been to baylands before and captured that same red-necked pheasant. Although not as well as you.

14. Phil,
    thats what I call one heck of a productive walk indeed! Wow!
    Beautiful work!
    Kevin P.

15. Thank you Ricky. I'm sure the other locals can give you more information, but as far as I can see, it's a nice place to go.

Thank you Paul. The birds here, e.g. the Avocets, look slightly different from the Old World ones.

Thank you Nick. Yes, it was sitting in a tree right above me and didn't seem to mind my presence.

Thank you Ray. Yes, the heat could be a big problem so I didn't stay too long.

16. Thank you Jim. Yes, they were nice to visitors. :biggrin:

Thank you Jessie. The pheasant was walking quite close to me and I was very happy to capture it.

Thank you Kevin. It's always nice shooting in a new place.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.