A few from Harry's 500/f4

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Kevin Scott, Nov 3, 2005.

1. HarryB was gracious enough to let me attach my D2x to his 500/f4 + 1.4tc and have a few minutes of fun. Unfortunately the only thing I shot were the Rosies that were hanging around that area, so my sampling is rather boring. But, nonetheless, I think I'm in love with his lens. I'd like to try it again, Harry, w/o the tc as I noticed some funky bokeh in some of these shots. But man, is that thing sharp!! It was the first time I shot with a full Wimberly (sp?). Christmas may be very expensive this year! :Devil:

Anyway, here are a few shots:

[​IMG]

another~
    [​IMG]

and yet another~
    [​IMG]

Sorry for the lack of variety but maybe Harry will be kind enough to let me try again! :Angel:

2. Kevin,
    I think you are right about xmas. This thing is magic in your hands! Cant wait to see what all you can do with it if this is any indication.
    Dave

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    OK. Here's the thing. It's bad enough when Harry and Rory and Ron R and others post great shots with their 500 f4's, but I don't need you adding to my misery!! :Unsure:

I don't need one, I don't want one, it isn't that great, the extra length wouldn't help that much, being able to get to 700mm with the 1.4 TC or to 850mm with the 1.7 would not enable me to get shots of birdies that I can't get now........:Dizzy:

I wonder when the VR version will be released. :biggrin:

Very nice shots BTW. :wink:

4. Kevin,

These pictures are outstanding. You did a fantasic job and they are great. That is some kind of lens. WOW!

BTW, they are some really beautiful birds. I love the pink feathers.

5. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hey Kevin - Pretty fair shots for your first try with the 500! I really love the first image because of the sharpness of the image and the beautiful pink/blue color contrast.

Everything you say about the 500 is true - and I'm still not unhappy that I made Harry a happy man and bought the 200-400VR. With a TC-17 at 400 I'm out there at 680 vs Harry's 700. (Who says I have to be fair and mention that he could put a 17 on the 500 and get out to 850?) I think we about equal in sharpness, at least to my eye, although RR says you have to stop the 200-400 down to 5.6 to get equal sharpness. So Harry clearly has the advantage in low light because of RR's comment and the half-stop lost by the TC-17.

The major advantages of the 200-400 are closer focusing and, most important, versatility. I wish I had had my 200-400 at the St. Augustine rookery for both reasons, but especially for better framing. At Viera these factors are less important, but still useful for the occasional Green Heron nearby in a bush. Oh, and I forgot the VR. I think I get more consistent results when I don't lock down my Wimberley, but someone with better long lens technique probably could get the same sharpness with the 500.

And VR is what I am betting on. Someday Nikon will come out with a 500/4VR and I hope to be first in line. And I'll keep the 200-400VR. Now the only question is how many (pick one) months or years before Nikon comes out with VR on it's long glass?

Gordon

6. Thanks, Dave! Wow, that's quite a compliment. I was tickled with them but didn't think they were all that. :redface:

Hopefully, Harry will allow me the pleasure of using it again.

7. Just trying to do my part so you won't be able to resist moving down here. I'd love to have access to your knowledge/skill more often than once or twice a year.

I think it's futile to try to resist the urge to upgrade. I keep thinking about the 500, then add the 1.4 to get 700, then shoot in HSC mode (x2) = 1400!!! That's a fairly reasonable length for Viera, don't you think? :tongue:

Gots to sell lots of portrait packages to save up enough for one of these. Then there's the whole wifey issue....:frown: Can't even think about a VR version...:rolleyes:

Thanks for looking and can't wait to shoot with you again!!

8. Hey Melissa, thanks for commenting and the kind words! Just wait till you get to come down and shoot with us. It should be exciting! Don't know what's more fun: shooting the birdies or meeting new Cafe members!! :smile:

9. Hi Gordon,
    I'm so glad you sold Harry that lens!! :tongue: It kind of scared me at first knowing how expensive it is but that fear faded quickly once I looked through the viewfinder. I'm pretty much set on a 500 (or 600...or maybe a 400/f2.8) and not really interested in the 200-400. I don't doubt it's a great lens but I'm not overly crazy about zooms and really want the extra reach.

Like I told Frank, I won't even think about VR versions as I'd need to win the lotto to even consider it. Maybe one day....

Thanks for stopping by...

10. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Understood, but I think you may need to win the lottery for any of them. :frown: And if you go for the 600, better check whether your medical insurance covers chiropractors.

BTW, if you are interested in a the big Wimberley, they are coming out with a smaller and lighter version for about the same money. Due to start shipping in December. I'm on the list and we could talk about my old one......

Gordon

11. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Great shots, Kevin! You've just confused my LLD again -- I really need more length, but was leaning toward the 200-400VR for many of the reasons Gordon mentions. But, I keep seeing great shots by many folks with the 500/4 and get back to not being sure which way to go. Oh, well, can't afford either one right now anyway (and the D200 may preempt them both). LLD is really painful!! :Dizzy: Decisions, Decisions, Decisions!??!?!??!?!??!:confused: :eek: :biggrin:

12. I'm guessing it might be sooner than you think. I saw a report from a photographer who got to try a 500/4VR prototype...

13. Kevin, excellent shots with the 500, that's a pretty awesome lens. Hope I'm as lucky mid November when I'm down there.

14. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Man o Man your a really nice guy to even let Harry have it back !!! :biggrin:

I'm with you it's gonna be an $$$ Xmas and 2006 :eek: for me to I hope :wink:

dig the shots you wouldn't, especially the 1st one.

15. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Rory - I hope your source is right! Then my holiday budget will be wrecked too.......

Gprdpm

16. Callie

Callie Guest

Hi Kevin
    VERY, Very Very nice! The exposure, the clarity, and the birds. Also your skill, love these. Hate the lens, though:tongue:
    These are things I only dream of, but yes, I drool:biggrin:
    Try a second mortage on the house, then pay it off with the great pics you WILL be taking!
    Best

17. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Great stuff Kevin,

Harry has asked me several times if I wanted to put that wonderful lens on and try it.

I won't do it, I will get more depressed :<((((((

18. Keep me posted. You never know. Just have to prioritize my wish/want list. :wink:

19. Is always easy to keep a level head about these things when $ isn't involved. It's just when you're about to take the plunge that the angst sets in. Personally, I'm leaning toward the prime rather than the zoom. Don't think you can go wrong with either, though.

Sorry to add to your LLD frustration! :wink:

20. Thanks Louis! I don't think you'll have anything to worry about when you come down. It seems as though things are starting to pick up. From now until Spring things should be really good.

You're still coming down next week, right? Send me a PM with your details. I've tentatively held aside next weekend.