A few from last week at High Island, Texas

Discussion in 'Birds' started by drueter, Mar 31, 2007.

1. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Gonzo and others have already posted a few shots from High Island recently, but I thought I'd add a few to the mix since it's such a great place to shoot. The rookery in Clay Bottom Pond at Smith Oaks Sanctuary (operated by the Houston Audubon Society) is well known as a place for large wading birds to nest and raise their young. I try to get there every 3-4 weeks in the March to May season. Here are a few from my visit last week.

Graceful Landings and Takeoffs --

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not so graceful landing --

[​IMG]

Preening Pair --

[​IMG]

Tending the eggs --

[​IMG]

Turtles sunning for too long? (note white spots on their backs - lots of birds overhead) --

[​IMG]

I'm really interested in your comments and feedback on these photos so I can continue to grow and learn

2. Very nice shots. I especially like #4 and #5.

3. Good shots Don. You've pretty much got the whites under control - which is tough with the GWE's in THEIR environment. I had planned to go Friday, but the weather forcast was the pitts (as well as a "panic" at the office) so I didn't miss much. Perhaps in a week or two.

4. Baxter

Baxter

Jan 8, 2007
    Clemson, SC
    Great shots Don. Really like 1,2 and 4. Number 2 is funny - looks like a ballet dancer.

5. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Thanks, Nick! Yes, the whites are a challenge, but I'm finding that the D200 handles them a bit better than the D2H. Shot most of these at -0.3EV to avoid blowing the whites.

I'm hoping to get back there in the next week or two also. Hope to meet you some time.

6. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Hunter & Tom -- Thanks for the kind comments. I also like number 4, but think I need to clone the branches out of the back of the egret. I've only processed these through Capture at this point, will have to see what I can do with number 4 in PS also.

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Beautiful images all of the.
    A tad hot on some of the whites.

On a bright day with those white birds I shoot f8 between 1/800 and /1250 iso 100-200
    See if that helps the bright contrast any. Like the light on the last two