A Few From My Back Yard Testing The 70-300 VR

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Drifter, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Drifter

Drifter

May 7, 2006
    West Virginia
    The weather finally cleared up some this weekend and gave me a chance to really test out the 70-300 VR . I am still learning this new found hobby and the VR surely makes it alot easier. Here are a few shots that I got from my back yard yesterday.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A duck came wondering by for a while and I really never could get a good angle for a shot, this was the best he would give me.

[​IMG]

Thanks;

2. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    Great shots Ron! Did you use a TC with the lens or did you shoot through a blind? How did you manage to get the cardinals and the yellow finches to fill out the frame or did you have to crop? Wonderful series and thanks for sharing.

3. Drifter

Drifter

May 7, 2006
    West Virginia
    Thanks Shekhar;

Yes I had to crop...the duck shot was cropped at roughly 33 percent and the bird shots were around 66 percent using Capture NX. Now about the blind, not that an outdoor lounge chair would classify as your typical bird blind but it works for me. I set the chair in front of me and then use a small outdoor stool to set on behind it, using the back of the chair as a brace to steady the camera when I take the shot and it does a pretty good job of hiding me. But most birds are pretty smart and pick up just about any movement around them, these birds just happen to be used to me being around and don't fly off as fast when I am out shooting pics.

Thanks again;

4. Beautiful! Every one of them! My birdies have gotten so used to me now I can just sit in a chair on my patio and get all the shots I want. Occasionally the cardinals will scold me but they still keep coming to eat. I have a blind but haven't even had to set it up yet! Guess I'll save that for Hagerman.

5. Drifter

Drifter

May 7, 2006
    West Virginia
    Thanks Dianne !.... and Good luck on your upcoming trip, you should get some nice shots.