A few from my backyard on a cold afternoon

Discussion in 'Birds' started by StL_Don, Dec 5, 2005.

1. It's in the mid-20s, too cold for me to sit outdoors so these were shot through a window. Not sure if the window, shutter speed or just my lousy long lens skill is to blame for the lack of sharpness.
    These are with a tripod, I've gotten sharper shots with my monopod or handheld.

1/125s f/5.0 at 300.0mm iso200
    original.

1/60s f/5.6 at 420.0mm iso200
    original.

1/80s f/5.6 at 420.0mm iso200
    View attachment 20555

1/60s f/5.6 at 420.0mm iso200
    View attachment 20556

The apparent sharpness in these shots is from PS work and the fact they've been resized.

Thanks for looking.
    Don

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Pretty nice shots Don, especially considering that they were shot through a window. None of the windows in my house are clean enough to even try that. :rolleyes:

3. Hey Donald...nice compositions and as for sharpening there are all kinds of programs that will sharpen thise up for you including PS. I think they look fine the way they are and really nice shot through a window.

Thanks for sharing these,

4. Very nice and they were just out in your backyard? Some yard you have..

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I would be thrilled to have those images.
    Deer are beautiful as are the birds.

6. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Some very nice images, Don. Does the Ark fit in the garage??? :Shocked: I am also blown away but some of the wildlife in close proximity to members homes...you are obviously one of those lucky folks.

7. Very well done and you cant even tell they were shot through a window

8. I think the first one is absolutely gorgeuos! Amazing detail! Nicely done!

9. The grass is always greener ...

I'm jealous of those who live in interesting cities, near mountains, deserts, beaches... anything that isn't mid-west USA.

You can have my deer. Our area is overrun with them, the result of urban expansion moving into their habitat and the resulting lack of hunting. I've counted 10 of the destructive creatures in my yard at times. In the fall their rutting (I think that's what the horn rubbing is called) damages and destroys trees and in the winter they eat all my evergreens. In the summer you can't walk in the yard without a foot-full of deer cr@p.

Now I know this was their home before we got here, but the deer population has gotten out of control. In the 19 years I've lived in the area it has gone from seeing one now and then to them being ever-present.
    With only encounters with cars to control the population it has grown to the point of being a serious problem. Some neighboring communities have actually allowed "urban" deer seasons.