A few from NCAA Final Four Lacrosse

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by mf44, Jun 4, 2005.

1. mf44

mf44

Jun 4, 2005
    NJ & MD
    I shot the Maryland Duke Final Four game in Philadelphia last weekend, and I finally uploaded a few shots.

Here are just 3 of them. All shot D2x with 70-200mm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope those work, this is my first time posting photos here.

Also, please let me know if the colors seem off to anyone. I did these on my new Powerbook and I haven't calibrated it, so I hope they aren't too bad.

2. Maryland Duke Final

Mike, Nice work! DOF is perfect, the color in is dead on in my opinion. You captured the action and moment well.

3. Where you shooting in Shutter Priority? Share with me your settings

4. mf44

mf44

Jun 4, 2005
    NJ & MD
    Thanks for the compliments, Craig.

For these shots I was in aperture priority. I don't really know if it's the best method, but it's what I'm comfortable with. I set it around f4 and then monitor the shutter speeds I'm getting throughout the day. I'll open up wider or up the ISO if I need something faster. I like doing this because the light will change quite a bit throughout the game, even if a bunch of clouds come over head. I prefer this over shutter priority because I like the added room that f4 gives me, and it's sharper than shooting wide open at 2.8. The trick is that you just have to keep an eye on the shutter speeds and be very comfortable with adjusting aperture on the fly with the command dials.

For most of these I shot around f3.5 or 4 and ISO was 200. I used 200 just so I could keep the settings between the D2x and my backup, a D70, the same. I tried to keep shutter speeds over 1/1000. Lacrosse needs very fast shutter speeds to eliminate a lot of the motion blur.

If I'm shooting something indoors, like basketball, then I'll meter the court and use those settings. When I shoot at the Comcast Arena down at the University of Maryland it's usually 2.8 and 1/500 or 1/640 and then ISO 800 or if need be, HI-1 (1600).

Hope I helped.

5. Excellent I saw that it was being held at the Linc but wasn't able to make it down, very crisp well done shots

6. Mike, thanks for sharing your settings, I am thinking of getting a D2X. I currently have a D1X. I enjoy shooting sports also. Did you use the new " high speed crop mode" an any of the shoots you posted?

craig

7. mf44

mf44

Jun 4, 2005
    NJ & MD
    Yeah, I used High Speed Crop on all of these.