1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

A few from Recital Picture day

Discussion in 'People' started by icetraxx, Apr 26, 2007.

1. icetraxx

icetraxx

May 7, 2005
    Louisiana
    Here are a few shots from my wifes dance studio's picture day. This was my first my first big project as well as my first time useing lighting other than an sb-800 flash. Parents loved them and I learned a lot in the process. I basically took all of the comments and criticisms that were expressed by the parents, when the other photographer took the pictures, and tried to address as many as I could.

My Son(turned 4 on the April 15th):
    77789062.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

A head shot of the one of competition team girls:
    View attachment 92568

My son's best friend/ god sister/ girlfriend:

View attachment 92569

Him stealing a kiss:
    View attachment 92570

2. hey these are gorgeous! Do you mind sharing any of your techniques? I"m doin a recital on Sunday for clarinet, flute, and piano. Beautiful work!

3. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    Nice work! I particularly like the first three. You might want to reduce the headroom on the first for better balance.

Well done.:biggrin:

4. icetraxx

icetraxx

May 7, 2005
    Louisiana
    Thank you for the replies. I was shooting with 4 ab800 with 42" white/black umbrellas. 2 were positioned behind the dancer facing toward the background and 2 were off to my right and left sides at the corners of were the background stopped. As far as the height of the umbrellas, I had them set where the bottom of the umbrella could touch the tops of their head if they walked under it or just a little higher.

I shot teathered to a laptop using the nikon camera control software and a usb cable. I shot raw and jpg because the jpeg transferred and displayed in about 3-5 seconds raw about 5-8sec.

I had my wife posing and another person taking the orders and writing down the picture number that the parent had chosen. I just fine tuned the posed and took the picture.

The process was smooth and the parents didn't have to wait more than 15-20 min. According to them no longer than before. And loved being able to see the pictures before hand. I only had 3 out of 100 that I had a little of a problem with about getting the perfect picture and retaking. I would then offer my comment on the best picture and get the wife to back it up or make the decision for her in a nice way.

Stuart:
    I agree on the crop. I just grabbed it out of the finished picture folder. It was cropped for a button.

Thanks again,
    Larry

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Excellent
    I know they were pleased
    Nice work

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.