A few from Saturday

Discussion in 'Birds' started by DiverX, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Had some time to run out of the house before company came. This weekend is shot for getting away with Holiday company...oh well! Hope you all enjoy the Holiday!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    These are amazing George. I noticed that the last two were shot at 700mm!! I'm curious as to the tripod / head set-up that you used. These are very sharp for such small birdies, especially at that distance.

Regards,

Frank

3. Hey Frank, thanks!

I use a 500mm AF-S for most bird stuff. This time I added a x1.4 teleconverter as you can see. What I use for support is really the only tripod I have, the Gitzo 1548. I always used a sidekick but this past winter picked up the full Wimberley Head to go with it. It gives me a little more movement, especially for flight shots, then the sidekick and the arca-swiss B1. The 1548 with the Wimberley Head is solid as a rock and by laying your arm over the lens there is zero movement so the pics are nice and sharp!!

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Wow, George. You really do have a solid set-up. I'm curious though. I have the Sidekick and an Acratech Ultimate ball head. I have been thinking about getting the RRS (or possibly the Markens M20) ball head to use with the Sidekick, but I've also considered the full Wimberley head.

How exactly does the full Wimberly give you more freedom of movement than the Sidekick with a good ball head?

Thanks,

Frank

5. Just my "opinion" but it moves more smoothly. The other thing is it is a little safer holding that $10K camera and lens (only one point you have to remember to tighten).

Again, I have both and used the Sidekick for 3 years before I got the full head. Either one is fine but after using the full head for a while I like it better and I really feel it is smoother , maybe just more solid so it feels smoother? :?

6. Stunning what detail they are fantastic, I have been trying to get a chickadee shot with the bird on a natural setting for weeks just has not cooperated yet. Very well done.

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks George. I heard a rumor that Wimberley is going to release a lighter version of the big head. The primary reason that I've shied away from it is the weight. I believe that the full head is about 3.5 lbs. The Acratech + Sidekick is about 1.5 lbs lighter.

I carry my cam / lens / tripod around quite a bit as I go hunting for birdies. Do you not find the extra weight of the 1548 and full Wimberley (not to mention the D2X and the 500 f4....;-)) a heavy load to carry around? This entire assembly must be about 25 lbs.... :?

Thanks again,

Frank

8. That woule be very nice!!!

Nah! You know, 22lbs or 25lbs makes little difference. It can get a little heavy but I look at it as part of the days exercise and go with the flow! I have carried it all day and feel fine. I do go to the gym 3 times a week though, at least for the last few months anyway! :D

9. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Nice George! Makes me want a 500 f4!

Don't get me wrong, I like my 200-400VR just fine for it's versatility, but for those times when 400 isn't enough, and adding my 1.4 TC hunts a bit in low available light, the 500 would be a much better solution. Heck, while I'm at it, I may as well pick up a 200 f2 VR!!

10. A couple more;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now you're talking Steve...spend it all! :lol:

11. Very well done!!! :D :D :D :D :D

12. as always George, your bird shots make my heart go pitter-patter! I am looking forward to spring...wish it would get here already so that we have some new birds to shoot! The warblers are coming......

13. Really nice images George. Love the colors and the detail of the birds.

14. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Stunning images George!

And thanks for the notes on your setup. One day I'll get a good head and tripod set up. Even then I doubt I'll have the skill to take shots this fine. :)

Neil