A few from Saturday

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Kevin Scott, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Here are a couple of miscellaneous shots that I took while visiting Leu Gardens. Not sure of the names of all of them but I liked them nonetheless. Comments/feedback welcome, as always...

A white hibiscus from the "White Garden"
    [​IMG]

Not sure what this one was. It was some kind of tree. Look almost like pea blooms
    [​IMG]

This one was growing on the ground in the shade. I was intrigued by the little yellow flowers that spring out which look like snakes or dragons mouths with fangs. Mother nature is so cool!
    [​IMG]

And of course these lovely anthuriums
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking...

2. mrtac2man

mrtac2man

Jun 3, 2005
    CT
    Very nice stuff.. another post infecting my body with D2x lust.... maybe for Xmas this year.. last year it was the D70...

Tim

3. Nice shootin' Kevin!! :D :D

4. Lisa

Lisa

May 3, 2005
    IL
    Kevin:

These are fine pieces of work. The first one is captivating for its perfect balance of shadow and light not to mention the fine details. You are right about the second one looking like a pea plant...the blooms look very similar to my Sweet Pea plant. They are all very nice.

5. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Wonderful captures Kevin. I hope to buy a 500D someday soon and give macro a try. The more that I see in these forums...the more that I want to try. Thanks for sharing your beautiful work!

6. Thank you all for stopping by and commenting!

Sorry, Tim, to contribute to your lust. All I can say is it's a great camera. I love mine and it just feels so comfortable to use. You tell it what to do and it does it! Sometimes that's bad but when I'm telling it right, man, oh man! :)

I agree, Lisa, the white hibiscus was captivating. I walked by it and glanced, turned around and walked into the alcove to get it. It was about 20 ft off the pathway. Quite honestly, it was the only white blossom I saw in the "White Garden"! :D I liked the way the background went black on it.

Hi Frank. Don't know anything about the 500D. I used the 60mm micro. I had a hard time with it yesterday as I tried to do close ups. It was windy and I was shaky from being out in the heat for hours, so it wasn't a great day for that. I should've brought my tripod but just don't relish the thought of caring that around in the 95+ temps. :(

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice series Kevin. I was wishing for a true macro lens yesterday. 8)

8. They are all beautiful. I like all the shadows in the second one.

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I like the firstest bestest Kevin.....:>)))))))))

The others are pretty

10. Thanks Frank, Cindy and Gale!

Gale, you know I flipped that white hibiscus just for you! ;) Sometimes mother nature doesn't cooperate.

11. Kevin,

The first one is my favorite, but they are all stunning! Love those micro lenses!

12. Hi Kevin,

Very nice vibrant colours and sharpness, and great composition as usual! What were the WB balance setting?

Regards,
    Jonathan

13. Hi Crystall. Thanks for the kind words. I'm really enjoying my micro lens. It's a bit of a new world for me and I'm having a blast! :)

Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Jonathan. I always seem to have good luck getting out good colors with the D2X and sharpness when I employ good technique. As for the WB, in this particular gardens I leave it set to Auto WB, believe it or not.

14. The first one with the black background is very impressive. Nice work, Kevin.