A few from Shanghai nights | pushed film

A few from scanning some rolls, from the backlog.
I shot these over the last few weeks.
It is mainly Neopan 400 and Tri-X 400 @ 3200:

Capture0035-Bentley.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

"bentley"

Capture0029-Bentley.jpg

"bentley"

Capture0007-At%20The%20Bund.jpg

"the bund"

Capture0039-misty%20morning.jpg

"misty morning"

Capture0052-train.jpg

"night train"

Capture0091-ghostly%20driver.jpg

"ghost driver"

I really prefer now shooting film Leicas most. The digital ones are practical and all, my worn M8.2 is a cared for device, but the smell and feel of film just isn't to top off.

I scan my film now 100% with the D3 (these are all out of camera JPGs, inverted in photoshop and exported from Lightroom).

I would like, to shoot more motor sports, really enjoyed the F1 GP weekend (some shots on my site now and many more to come).
Reality at the moment is a different one, leaving very, very little time for photography projects, making film so much more enjoyable ;-)

excellent exposures. I really like well done film.
That "night train", film seems to definitely have it's own special look where a longer exposure with blurred movement is concerned. definiely a fan !

excellent exposures. I really like well done film.
That "night train", film seems to definitely have it's own special look where a longer exposure with blurred movement is concerned. definiely a fan !

Thanks Floyd,
I especially love, how the cloth shutter curtains of the Leica film bodies give the beautiful rippled effect of motion (See the photo of the Bentley and the train of course).

Dirk, stunning set with excellent processing! Love the "Bund" image!

Haha, Steve - thank you ;-)
Well, the processing comes entirely from the developing in the lab, pushing these negatives by three stops in D-76.

What I like recently is shooting the Noctilux at night wide open for scenic shots.
I made some frames for preparing a panorama of the Bund @ f1 on grainy, pushed film but didn't come around photoshop yet, stitching them.
They might just end up as separate prints in a panoramic glass frame in my office, as I don't enjoy Photoshop time much ;-)

Nice series Dirk. I'm liking the "Bund" & "misty morning"

Thanks Ed - these two are drawn by the typical Shanghai weather, being grey and overcast often, added some mist for good measure in both.
I have to get out more often, when mist settles - I like, what it does to photos with fast, wide open lenses.

Thanks Ed - these two are drawn by the typical Shanghai weather, being grey and overcast often, added some mist for good measure in both.
I have to get out more often, when mist settles - I like, what it does to photos with fast, wide open lenses.

I've come to realize that I like shooting in different or adverse conditions. I went out with a friend one time to shoot some landscapes of NYC and it was foggy with clouds that covered the tops of the buildings. He thought it was bad but I said you could come here a hundred times and it would be perfect. How often can you come to here to get these conditions.
I look forward to seeing more.

Menos, love the Bentley shots, and the misty morning train. Could you tell a little about the train shot, it is just outstanding.

I've come to realize that I like shooting in different or adverse conditions. I went out with a friend one time to shoot some landscapes of NYC and it was foggy with clouds that covered the tops of the buildings. He thought it was bad but I said you could come here a hundred times and it would be perfect. How often can you come to here to get these conditions.
I look forward to seeing more.

Very true Ed - the best pictures often are not made in every day good sunshine weather!

Dirk,

"The bund", rocks!

Thanks Kris!
I really should go back to the computer and finish the stitching of the panorama.
These where shot actually on TriX or Neopan, pushed to ISO 3200 and shot with the Noctilux @ f1 (hence the heavy vignetting) ;-)

#1, 2, 5, 6 are my fav.
Great work!

Haha - thank you!
Actually these are the ones, I liked most also!
I do like shooting cars at night with pushed film and the "ghost driver" really comes out better with a big print - it is a spooky appearance with a perfect profile, seen behind tinted glass of the van ;-)

Misty morning and night train for me.

But I like the whole set, and I do appreciate what you're doing with film. great work.

Thank you very much Peter!
I do love film more for the feel, smell and the shooting experience - no distractions and a very natural, organic feel.

I explore the Leica on moving things more and more - it's fun, especially with the special effect from the cloth shutter, no DSLR can give you (it's about time for that digital SP Nikon -are you listening :biggrin::biggrin:).

Oh WOW Dirk, just brilliant and on film as well..!!! Well done....

Wally - thanks!
How could one not love film, right ;-)

"The Bund" is sweet, man. Love it.

Justin - thank you!

Funny, to see you here (I am way to little around the Café, I guess :redface:).
I was following your blog, but at some point, the RSS got broken :-(

It's "Bund" and "Misty Morning" for me! Great shots!

Thank you Dossy!
I have to confess:

When I went out on the balcony that morning, having my first cup of coffee and I saw that view, the Bob Marley song "Misty Morning" shot through my head.

Although not connected in it's possible interpretations to the feel of that particular morning, I had that image.
I am happy, how it turned out, and I am thankful, Bob Marley wrote that song.

Menos, love the Bentley shots, and the misty morning train. Could you tell a little about the train shot, it is just outstanding.

Rodney, thank you very much!
I have a thing for doing car shots at night - I might do a series of prints or a book at some points just for this topic.
The Bentley has been shot in a very dark, rainy night, where it sat next to a busy street in the shadow of a tree under the side walks street lamp.

It just looked beautiful as a car, sitting in this environment, so I saw a wide open "3D" image of it with a 35mm lens, the car popping into the picture.
I shot at about 1/8th at ISO 3200 (always pushing BW film to that speed).

The train shot actually was one of a series with different lenses, while I was trying out a 135mm lens on the Leica MP after receiving a Leicavit that day (great holding and quick advancing for shooting longer lenses on the M).

As I am still undecided about this year's Le Mans, if I bring the heavy and bulky Nikon stuff or just two Leicas as last year, I did some panning shots with the MP.
Shots like the train one (ISO3200, 135mm f3.4, ~ 1/4 − 1/8) give me that feel, the Leicas will win out.

The colors and detail of my recent F1 GP shots though make me sway towards the D3 and 300 VR + TCs - I don't know :-(

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom