1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

A few from Springfield, Illinois...

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by gnagel, Aug 4, 2009.

1. I stopped by Springfield, Illinois and captured a few photos with my D700 during the visit:

1- The Old State Capitol (the building in which Abraham Lincoln served)
    p779825439-5.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2- The "New" State Capitol (just after Lincoln's time)
    p84641634-5.jpg

3- The Inner Dome of the Capitol
    p933130990-5.jpg

4- Inner Dome II
    p1030554894-5.jpg

5- Lincoln Home
    p1003610373-5.jpg

6- Lincoln Tomb
    p42316669-5.jpg

7- Lincoln Burial Site
    p647260387-5.jpg

8- My Niece & Abe
    p846474461-5.jpg

Thanks for looking...
    Glenn

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2009
  2. Beautiful, Glenn. The visible detail in those dome photos is impressive. Surely your camera was mounted on a sturdy tripod.

3. Thanks Jim...

I did use a tripod for the inner dome photos as the light was very dim.

Glenn

4. Rob Zijlstra

Rob Zijlstra A Koffie Drinker

Nov 5, 2008
    Netherlands
    Thanks for sharing Glenn. Really nice pictures. Love the last one, reminds me of my daughter when she was about that age.
    Two questions:
    1) Is there anything else as 'Lincoln' in Springfield, Illinois :wink:
    2) Is the second picture a little bit tilted? (clock wise)

5. Thanks Rob

There are an amazing amount of Lincoln sites in Springfield. In addition to the Lincoln Home (which also includes the entire neighborhood as it was back in his times), there's the Lincoln Tomb, the Old Capitol, his Law Offices, and the Train Depot (where he departed for Washington DC). We also visited the Lincoln Museum--which was an incredible experience.

I used the straightening tool within NX2 and drew it right through the flag pole and the Capitol building. It's possible that the building is still tilted, but I attempted to straighten it according to my eye and the straightening tool. Any other comments on this would be appreciated.

Thanks again,
    Glenn

6. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    Awesome images as usual Glenn. The sharpness and colors are just wonderful. Which lenses did you use for this shoot? I agree with some of the earlier posters that images #2 and #6 are definitely tilted slightly to the right.

7. Thanks Shekhar...

I'm going to go back and straighten #2 and #6 again. I didn't notice the tilt before.

I used the 24-70 for most of the shots and the 70-200 for the inner dome shots.

Glenn

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2009
  8. Rob Zijlstra

Rob Zijlstra A Koffie Drinker

Nov 5, 2008
    Netherlands
    Nigel,
    I think I see the 'tilt':
    The building is straight, but the tops of the row of iron posts before it not. That line is tilted.
    The two together seems to confuse the eye????

9. I might be able to use the perspective cropping within Photoshop to straighten the iron posts.

Glenn

10. lr0868

lr0868

May 25, 2008
    henderson, nv
    Amazing shots Glenn, your work is always a pleasure to view

11. lany

lany

Sep 24, 2008
    New York
    Great series! All very nice shots. I like the processing on #7. I have been watching a program that I recorded on the History Channel about Lincoln, so these pictures were well timed!:smile:

12. jmkiang

jmkiang

Jul 21, 2009
    Chicago
    Wow very cool. Might have to roadtrip out there for some cool shots.

13. Thanks for commenting Lisa

14. Thank you Paul...

I find Lincoln to be a fascinating person.

Glenn

15. Thanks...I think Springfield is well worth the visit.

Glenn

16. Great shots Glenn!

I used to work at the Capital there. That was back before they had cleaned the glass above the rotunda. It may be dim now but the glass was dingy back then. Quite spectacular now in your photos. I would have loved to see pics from the Dana Thomas House. The Frank Lloyd Wright architecture is amazing and the stained glass impressive.

Steve

17. Thanks Steve...

I was on a vacation with the family---and it wasn't really a photo trip. I need to get back to Springfield for a day on my own so that I can concentrate on getting photographs. There's so much to shoot there!

Glenn

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.