A few from Sunday

Discussion in 'Birds' started by mike mac, Dec 19, 2005.

1. We had my Lorries sisters Christmas open house yesterday, we always arrive early to help out. Well since things were shaping up around the house I escaped down the street to the Wilmington zoo. I was so bummed when I came up to the duck area and found they caged it in. So I had to shot through the fence. The same volunteer was there from last year and recognized me since I took his picture with his sort of pet wood duck. He tells me that about a week after I took the picture they lost the duck to a hawk,so hence they had to enclose the exhibit. All shot with the D2X and the 200-400VR. These were shot at very low shutter speeds I am amazed how well the VR helps most of these were under 1/160's and one at 1/40s
    Hooded Merganser Portrait Boy these guys are tough to expose right
    original.
    original.
    Wood Duck
    original.
    original.
    original.
    Sandhill Crane Portrait
    original.
    Green Teal (I could be wrong)
    original.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Well I for one am glad that you were able to get away for a few minutes Mike. These are most excellent shots. Just makes me want to get out and shoot. :wink:

3. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Mike, Those are great. The greenwing teal even lifted one leg to show off her jewelry.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Beautiful,
    Boy now I know I am not posting my measley pic I took of the Hooded Merganser from yesterday...lolol
    First time ever seen. They are at Viera. To farrrr away... Bad Bad weather..
    Shooting down to 1/60 eeeeeekkkkkk Hand held. 80-400 VR with 1.4 tc hahahahaha Did not come home ith much I will tell ya.

5. Mike, very nice. Did it take you long to carve that Wood Duck? What kind of Wood did you use,? Acrylic Paints??? They sure are pretty in plumage aren't they?

As to the Teal lifting a leg, I'm not sure that was to show off, notice that Mike didn't SHOW us the next picture in the series :wink: , probably because he was cleaning his lens........:biggrin:

Really nice, Mike.

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    LOL@Bill

7. WOW! Mike those are some really sharp images.. What F-stop were you using for these guys? Were you using any converters?

I have the same setup as you do it seems...I have been having problems with well focused images with VR active and at both high and low shutter speeds...

8. No conveter with these and they were all shot at f 6.3 I have shot this hanheld at f4.5 with shutter speeds as low as 1/45s with good results. When shooting with my lens mounted on the sidekick I usually shoot with VR on since I never lock it down I always allow me to move the gimbal in both directions

9. outstanding detail Mike. you sure had a busy day yesterday it sounds.

10. Interesting.. Were you real close to them or did you have the lens zoomed out to 400 most of the time?
    Are you able to get consistent results shooting at these settings? or is it hit and miss??

11. Mike, what fabulously sharp pictures! Having only been viewing this forum a short time, I am impressed with the quality of the photographers posting in this forum and their willingness to share their skills. Since I have a WH and 200-400 on the way, I have been reading anything I can find on this lens and its use. From your and Eric's posts plus a review of an "expert" I read, there certainly are differing opinions and results regarding utilizing the VR while mounted. Obviously it will be different for each of us. That said, I am guessing that with a secure mount, the VR have to be "off" for the sharpest results. I also guess that the VR on the 80-200 VR lens creates much greater "movement" then the 200-400?
    Since I have yet to come close to the "sharpness" I see here (D50 and 80-200 VR) in your opinion is there that big a difference in the D2X or 200-400 VR?

12. Definitely good stuff Mike, you have your lens and body combo dialed in for sure.

I agree with Kevin who had previously mentioned your consistency is astounding.

Tripod/monopod/head/flash??

13. bfjr

bfjr Guest

beautiful colors there, and very well captured!!

14. Wow! Wish we could've got that close to the Mergansers yesterday! Needed at least 5000mm to get that close! ;) They sure are beautiful birds. Your shots are just incredible! Thanks for sharing these!

15. A hoody portrait is on my want list. They are pretty skittish around here - I need a zoo environment I guess. You sure nailed everything Mike.

16. lowlight_junkie

lowlight_junkie

Nov 28, 2005
    Excellent series, such fabulous vibrant colours and great sharpness.

17. WOW Mike. You were sure close to the Mergansers. They are pretty shy around here. Another top notch series.

18. Thanks Frank, I had to escape to keep my sanity!!!

19. Early christmas present I guess

20. Gale
    Have you ever thought of the 300 f4 it is a great lens sharp as a tack and with the 1.4 performs fabulosuly