A few from the garden this morning

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by viewfinder, Oct 14, 2005.

1. All taken with D70 and 105mm micro.

Tiger (Lily) in the Making

[​IMG]
    Flash used : No
    Exposure time : 0.0025 s (1/400)
    Aperture : f/5.0
    Whitebalance : Manual (Cloudy -2)
    Metering Mode : spot

One day I will be Queen

[​IMG]
    Exposure time : 0.0020 s (1/500)
    Aperture : f/5.6

Simply Rose

[​IMG]
    Exposure time : 0.0025 s (1/400)
    Aperture : f/5.0

Regards,
    Jonathan

2. Beautiful, Jonathan. Well composed, exposed and very nice OOF. Like them all.

3. Lovely color and composition. Thanks, Jonathan.

4. Superb, all three of them. My prefered is #3, but I'd like to know if you have postprocessed it and how. It looks very nice with a sort of glowing effect and a very soft and silky background.

5. Keaka

Keaka

Oct 13, 2005
    Richmond BC
    Nicely composed. The color clipping in the third one is a little distracting but otherwise the shots are very well done.

6. Hi Christian,

For #3, the softness is mostly due to the DOF (or lack thereof), the background was darkened using the burn tool, as it was too bright and distracting. I usually try to get an angle where the background would be dark naturally by spot metering on the flower, but in this case this was the best angle I could get for the flower.

I usually apply a very slight input levels adjustment for the dark point to remove the haze, and bring in the white point a little as well. This usually would provide a slight glowing effect for the main subject against a dark background.

This is my typical workflow, nothing fancy at all. The D70 seems to be quite consistent, the above approach works almost every time. I do find that cloudy WB helps as well, as it gives you the warm tone without have to do any post processing - well, it is processed in camera...

Keaka noted the colour clipping, so all is not perfect ;-).

#1 and #2 had the standard input levels adjustment mentioned above, not much else otherwise.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Regards,
    Jonathan

7. Keaka

Keaka

Oct 13, 2005
    Richmond BC
    I've always had trouble with color clipping when it comes to red's and pinks... almost have to do a little bracketing everytime I take a macro shot that has so much of that color in it.

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Clipping or no, i ain't picky..

I'll take those beautiful roses anyday. :>)))

Gorgeous well done. You can print and send to me ...heehee.

9. Thanks Gale. Anyway, here is one for you, not printed though... Solitary Rose

Regards,
    Jonathan

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  10. Hi Jonathan!

Very beautiful shots!