1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

A few from the West Coast

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Nikam, Jul 6, 2005.

1. My wife and I recently spent a week on Vancouver Island. Most of these were taken on Chesterman Beach which is on the West Coast of Vancouver Island just south of Tofino BC.

First a couple of western sandpiper pics. These birds use this area as a feeding stop on the way to Alaska. I read that they can double their weight in just a few days of resting stop.

Love the way they move in unison - even on foot.

View attachment 11588

Brave (or foolish) crow (near Parksville BC):

View attachment 11589

The sandpipers, crows, and the seagulls, as shown in this shot, were all eating small worms on the tidal flats.

View attachment 11590

I tried to get some decent oystercatcher shots, but they were pretty elusive. The best I managed was a quick flight shot.

View attachment 11591

2. Hi Dennis

You were in my neck of the woods! I'm glad you had a good time. Looks like you could have used my 300 or 500 ;^)

3. Hi Rory.

I sure could have used a bit more reach for those oystercatchers. They perched on a rock that was just too far offshore to get a decent shot.

We stayed at a bed and breakfast just north of Parksville on the way over and one in Lantzville on the way back - so we were pretty close to your neck of the woods. Both have eagles nesting close by but I didn't get any great shots. Once the eaglets have fledged, they don't hang around so much. Oh well, It was relaxing trip and the Tofino - Uclulet area is spectacular.

4. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi dennis-

the second photo is a classic, great capture.

ricky

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice series Dennis. Looks like you had a good day. I'll bet you are getting impatient for that 300. :wink:

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Great shots, love the one with the crow. lolol

7. Excellent I liek the first two the best and all shot with a 70-200 very nicely done

8. Nice series Dennis, looks like you had a good time, look forward to seeing more ;-)
    On the second shot, which one were you focusing on. LOL!!!

Keith

9. Thanks for the kind comments everyone.

I felt lucky to get the sandpipers, because it is the tail end of their migration. This group was the only one I saw and they were only on the beach for about an hour out of six days.

10. These are great shots, Dennis, but there's just something special about those sandpipers! :)  Like a slice of their little life captured on digital film. Neat! :) 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.