A few from the West Coast

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Nikam, Jul 6, 2005.

1. My wife and I recently spent a week on Vancouver Island. Most of these were taken on Chesterman Beach which is on the West Coast of Vancouver Island just south of Tofino BC.

First a couple of western sandpiper pics. These birds use this area as a feeding stop on the way to Alaska. I read that they can double their weight in just a few days of resting stop.

Love the way they move in unison - even on foot.

Brave (or foolish) crow (near Parksville BC):

The sandpipers, crows, and the seagulls, as shown in this shot, were all eating small worms on the tidal flats.

I tried to get some decent oystercatcher shots, but they were pretty elusive. The best I managed was a quick flight shot.

2. Hi Dennis

You were in my neck of the woods! I'm glad you had a good time. Looks like you could have used my 300 or 500 ;^)

3. Hi Rory.

I sure could have used a bit more reach for those oystercatchers. They perched on a rock that was just too far offshore to get a decent shot.

We stayed at a bed and breakfast just north of Parksville on the way over and one in Lantzville on the way back - so we were pretty close to your neck of the woods. Both have eagles nesting close by but I didn't get any great shots. Once the eaglets have fledged, they don't hang around so much. Oh well, It was relaxing trip and the Tofino - Uclulet area is spectacular.

4. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi dennis-

the second photo is a classic, great capture.

ricky

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice series Dennis. Looks like you had a good day. I'll bet you are getting impatient for that 300. :wink:

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Great shots, love the one with the crow. lolol

7. Excellent I liek the first two the best and all shot with a 70-200 very nicely done

8. Nice series Dennis, looks like you had a good time, look forward to seeing more ;-)
    On the second shot, which one were you focusing on. LOL!!!

Keith

9. Thanks for the kind comments everyone.

I felt lucky to get the sandpipers, because it is the tail end of their migration. This group was the only one I saw and they were only on the beach for about an hour out of six days.

10. These are great shots, Dennis, but there's just something special about those sandpipers! :) Like a slice of their little life captured on digital film. Neat! :)