A few from this afternoon (1st post of bird pics)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Nikam, May 5, 2005.

1. Go easy on me. I'm taking these with a coolpix 4500 and TC E3ED 3x tele converter. The result is an equivalent 460mm lens. I definitely could use some more reach as is evident on the eagle shots.

The nest is quite a sight and while I watched one of the pair brought a fish to the one sitting on the nest but with the shutter lag on the coolpix I did not get a shotof it. I'm saving for a new camera but I'm essentially starting from scratch because my only slr is a 30 year old Canon FTb and will therefore need both camera and lenses.

So here are the pics:

Pair of Barrows Goldeneye:

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Dennis,

Yes, you could use more reach, but for what you have, these are great!! I like both the Eagle and Ringneck shots.

Hey, we all understand about that thing called a budget.... :lol:

3. Thanks Frank for your kind comments. I had just about enough saved up for a D2H and what I considered a basic lens kit when they were on sale. When the D2HS came out, the stores here in Canada seemed to be sold out of D2H cameras almost immediately. The D2HS seems a bit expensive for 4.1 mpix, so I've kind of made up my mind to go for the D2X but we'll see. It will take a few more months and hopefully by the time I can afford one they will be more readily available.

4. Dennis, there is nothing wrong or posting a "go easy on me" because of the cp4500. It's a great camera. I have the cp995 and won't get rid of it because I get great results from it. Haven't used it much since I got the D-70 last year. lol. Your shots are great.
    Pete

5. Thanks, Pete.

It does take some good pictures - especially close-ups. But the shutter lag is frustrating when you're trying to get flight shots and the viewfinder is blocked by the tele extender so I'm really looking forward to getting a decent DSLR.

6. Hi Dennis

For what you shot with, I am really impressed :) Very well done!!!

Keith

7. Thanks Keith. I've seen some of your work while lurking on dpreview over the last 8 months or so and I've got a long way to go to get to your level. However, learning is what makes life interesting.

8. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Nice shots! I'm a coolpix shooter too! I've got the 8800 and I love it. One of these days thought I'm gonna swipe my husband's D2H and see what I can do! When I do, watch out world! :D

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I think you did a fantastic job.

I just posted one taken with the CP5000.. Baby tiger.

The CP's do a grand job.

I know you woll love a DSLR and you already shoot well.

Understand $$$$$$$ I was 62 before getting an slr.

wanted one all my life.

10. Thanks Leigh and Gale for your comments. It is amazing what those coolpix cameras will do. Leigh, I've heard that the 8800 with the VR does a super job. Look forward to seeing your posts.

11. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Ooops. I meant Barrows Goldeneye, not Ringnecks. :oops:

Still great shots though. :wink: