1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

A few from this morning at the park.

Discussion in 'Birds' started by nuclearjock, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Kind of quiet this morning, except for the Kildeer mom guarding her chicks:
    1. Baby Killdeer.
    DSC_3184_PS2.
    NIKON D500    200.0-500.0 mm f/5.6    700mm    f/9.0    1/640s    ISO 560

2. Mom giving me the get lost eye.
    DSC_3127_PS2.
    NIKON D500    200.0-500.0 mm f/5.6    700mm    f/9.0    1/640s    ISO 400

3. Female House Finch.
    DSC_3091_PS2.
    NIKON D500    200.0-500.0 mm f/5.6    700mm    f/9.0    1/640s    ISO 500

4. Eastern Kingbird.
    DSC_3223_PS2.
    NIKON D500    200.0-500.0 mm f/5.6    700mm    f/9.0    1/640s    ISO 560

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Rick, what a superb set, but the last shot takes the prize for me. I'd crop it a bit differently and print it large and hang it up. Very well done. I guess I should tell you why I like that last one so much, it has detail but yet a soft look, great background, beautiful colors and exposed beautifully.

3. I'm with Louis--the Kingbird is stunning. The Finch is very sharp!

4. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    You are making some amazing images with that combo, these are the best yet

5. Thanks so much Louie, your kind words mean a lot to me:) .

Thanks Nick, so far it's still fun(y).
    I've watched your posts for nine years now. You have no idea how much this comment means to me Randy. Thanks so much buddy:) .

6. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    The kingbird is superb!!!! I agree with Louie about a slightly different crop and getting a large print! LOL!

While you did your job on the first two, the background rendered by the 200-500 just kills them for me. Use Steve Perry's tip to add a layer and selectively blur the backgrounds a bit, and those images will be excellent also.

7. Kingbird is the best photo but I like the baby killdeer best.

8. superb Rick, and what was said..................

9. Thanks Karen. I watched that video when it first came out. I may give it a try soon.
    Many thanks Allan.
    Thank you Darrell.

10. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    I sometimes do something very similar, although rarely with my 500mm. Just a little blur to the background. The 200-500 seems to need it if the background is anywhere close to the subject.

11. Do you go the whole layer route or blur the image directly?

12. Jeff1

Jeff1

Mar 26, 2017
    Ferndale, WA
    Jeff
    Super series! I like the Eastern Kingbird best. I think it's a wall hanger. Jeff

13. West

West

Jan 2, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    Nice stuff, your in the zone (y)

14. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    In the past I have created a new "merge layer", created the mask, and then blurred the image. I set the gaussian blur much stronger than needed. Then adjust the layer opacity to taste, using the minimum amount needed to tame the background but still be realistic. I have not been adding noise to the blurred background. Guess I'll start checking to see if I should be! LOL!

I'm not sure if Steve's method, which cuts the subject out of the background onto a new layer, is any better than creating a new merged layer and applying a mask. I believe it would be better if there were a strong color difference between the subject and the background.

15. Excellent series, I like them all.

16. I love these!! I've never had the patience to learn bird photography, but I surely enjoy looking at beautiful photos like these. I know that it is a lot harder than it looks to accomplish what you have.

17. Thanks Jeff :) 
    Back at ya buddy(y) Ohmmmmmmm.......
    Thanks much Gordon and Happy Birthday again.
    It's actually kind of exciting Terri. I bet there's lots of cool birds out your way. Thanks for the kind words.:) 

18. Not sure what happened but I thought that I had responded to this post already....anyway here goes. Love them all....but the kingbird is something special!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.