A few from today... Harlequin Ducks

Discussion in 'Birds' started by mike mac, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Went to Barnegat Light jetty today on the recommendation of forum member Harris Brown. At this time of the year many species of birds hang here during the winter months, I saw Harelquin Ducks Longtail Ducks, Loons, Purple Sandpipers, Rudy Turnstones, Surf Scoters, Black Belly Plovers, Red Crested Mergansers and Snderlings, it was a smorgasbord of birds. I will post each species in a separate thread, I will start things off with the Harlequin ducks these birds are just gorgeous.
    All taken with the D2X and the 200-400VR with 1.4 tele and the SB800 for fill flash.
    original.
    original.
    original.
    original.
    original.
    original.

2. Killer shots Mike, and the colors are fabulous... Gotta be happy with these.

3. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Fabulous colors Mike..

4. Johntu

Johntu

Jul 4, 2005
    Fremont, CA
    Awesome pictures, Mike

5. Wow! What else can I say... Wonderful contrast and ooh so sharp!

6. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Great shots!

7. Beautiful ducks Mike. Thanks for sharing them.

8. Mike, that first picture of the male is OUTSTANDING! I had been trying to get good shots of Harlequin Ducks for many years, and wasn't (somewhat) successful until this fall. They are one of the most difficult ducks to get exposed correctly to see all the colours and features well. You did a superb job. Plus you were lucky enough to have some sun to help out. Here on the west coast, they can be very skiddish and very difficult to get close to.

Great job man!

Cheers

Tim

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Oh my goodness Mike. You and Jim are killing me with these beauties.

Well done. :smile:

10. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hey Mike -

Super images. I didn't bring a flash/extender combo. I'll post some of my images as soon as I get NC 4.4 working properly, but I can tell from my RAW files that I'm not going to have your rich, bright colors or eye catchlights. Oh well, shoot and learn.

BTW, I'm going to the Zoo camera club meeting on the 17th. You coming?

Gordon

11. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Mike

Excellent, excellent, excellent!

I've never seen one of these alive, but I received an e-mail last night stating that there were some nearby...I guess I've got to go take a look at them, even if they're too far away to shoot :)

Did I already say excellent?

12. Mike
    Outstanding work on these beauties! YOu had the sweet light and did great.
    How can I view exif on these if I want to?
    Dave

13. Harris
    Thanks I walked away with many keeper shots today it was an incredible day for sure
    -Mike

14. Thanks Dave they are gorgeous birds

15. Thanks Jon it is a great place I would like to thank Harris Brown for turning me on to this spot

16. Thanks so much Andreas it was a great day one of the most successful I have had in a while

17. Thanks Ken

18. Jim They were so much fun to watch them diving for food. Thanks for the kind words

19. WOW Tim thanks so much, beginners luck I guess. I was amazed at the variety of birds here, they are so much fun to watch and learn their habits.
    The sun was there from sunup to about 11:00 it was perfect

20. Frank
    It was such a great day just a ton of different type of birds to shoot I will be going back there,