1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

A few Hummer shots

Discussion in 'Birds' started by BIGBEAR, Sep 9, 2008.

1. BIGBEAR

BIGBEAR

Nov 16, 2007
    Forney, Texas
    Finally I am posting some hummingbird pictures. I am open for all suggestions and critique on how to make them better. These were taken between 10'-20' away and I used a 70-200 VR lens with 1.7 telcv. I cropped them on CaptureNX but dont have a clue what Im doing. Thanks for any suggestions

2. BIGBEAR

BIGBEAR

Nov 16, 2007
    Forney, Texas
    Alright let me start by saying that I am ate up with stupid. I will figure this out one day I promise.

3. Hi Bear,

I have no idea of what settings you used but all the images look soft.
    Your lens is a VR lens so I guess you handled the camera shake o.k.
    So my question is what shutter speed you used. Especially for in-flight shot,
    you'll need 1/500s or faster but sometimes you can get away at slower than
    that. For hummers perching on a tree,make sure you get at least
    1/100s or faster and use burst mode for both in-flight and still shots.

When I was in AZ,I stuck with f/8(for pearching hummer shots)
    because I wanted to get as much details as possible but that also
    limited the shutter speed even if I used iso1600. Early in the morning,
    I could only get 1/15s and ironically that's when I got the best
    opportinity to shoot Blue-throated hummingbird but they were all soft.
    As the sun got higher I started getting a higher shutter speed, from 1/15s to
    1/40s to 1/100s to 1/125s and higher. And the images got sharper.
    And I always used high burst mode.

Also,pick a ideal perching tree where you can get a good light and a good
    background and remember where it is. When I was in AZ, I picked 3-4 favorite
    perching trees and I just waited for them to come.

It's a good start Bear, keep on shooting.:smile:

4. BIGBEAR

BIGBEAR

Nov 16, 2007
    Forney, Texas
    Hide,

I know that I had it set @ f/4.? (with the tele.), the ISO was between 200-500. I did not have the VR on since I was using the tripod with a new "ball" type head on it. I had the camera set in Aperture priority. These pics were early in the morning so light wasnt the best. Shutter speed was between 200-400. Im still learning. Where we live it is about 150 yards to a tree line so all I have is my chain link fence, one new tree (looks about dead), and five small crepe myrtle trees. I am planning on fixin up the back yard landscape to attract more hummers. This weekend there was a hummingbird celebration (seminars, home tours, banding, photography classes, etc) in Rockport, TX near Corpus Christi that I was going to but I think hurricane Ike may get there before I can. Those hummers are fast and strong but I dont think they can handle 120 mph winds.

5. devrules81

devrules81

Nov 13, 2007
    Georgia
    I like the pics!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.