A few IRs from the week

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by Wilk, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    I'm way behind in PP work, due in part to a redesign of my website, always a struggle, because I have the graphic design sense of a newt :eek:).

Here's a few of the IR shots I kinda like...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm generally very unhappy with digital to black & white converts, but IR is a different story alltogether, I think it's easy to get great results...
    [​IMG]

More stuff in my InBox, URL in my sig, click InBox on the left.

Steve

2. I liked the 1st one but the 2nd one -- way cool!!!

3. JB

JB

May 27, 2005
    Washington, DC
    I really enjoy IR shots. Thanks for posting.

I'm very curious about the IR modified D70. Currently I use a Hoya R72 on a D2H for IR and the results are very good. But exposure times are too long to capture people as you have.

BTW - I've ruled out IR on the D2X, IMHO the exposure times are simply too long to make it a reasonable choice for IR work.

4. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    Hey Kevin,

Thanks much for the comments. I actually live just 2 blocks from flamingo park on south beach, so it's an easy target for me :biggrin:

Steve

5. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    Hi JB,

I am going to start forcing myself to use my tripod more, but generally it works against my shooting methodology. Still, I need to get more time on that succa. I did the mod specifically because hand holding suits my shooting style to a T, and the great advantage is, you can line up and shoot a couple dozen shots in the time it takes to do one pod shot.

I don't have any IR filters (for lenses) so I can't comment specifically on that, but I did make a go at UV work using both my D2x and D70, and as Bjørn told me it would, the D70 responded much better to UV light. I assume the AA filter over the sensor on the D2x works heavily against these types of exposures.

BTW, I see you're from my old stompin' grounds. I moved from Gaithersburg to south beach fl a year ago. I rather miss my old home town, but I must say... I haven't missed shoveling snow one bit :wink:

Steve

6. Steve, nice work...and some really neat colors too!
    When we get our chance to shoot, can I try? :smile:
    I've given it a lot of thought and I think that my D70 will get to meet mr. lifepixel mod soon. IR is less demanding on the camera IMO, considering the exhaustion it suffers from every week of normal use.

7. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    Hey man... just bring a spare card, or put yours in it... not a problem at all. I'm pretty open to people using or trying different stuff I have, same goes for lenses. I'm very easy going with respect to that... my attitude may change as soon as someone breaks something I own :eek: but seriously, I know most folks with this level of equipment are careful with their own, and extra careful with someone elses.

With respect to the colors, I've admitted before, and will state again that I do tend to take a fair amount of license with my IR pp work. The top shot for example, I spent almost an hour cutting a mask on the "hand" so I could shift that color closer to its natural color which is the green of tarnished brass or copper (I believe it is brass, not sure). But I play around a lot with some of these, starting (most of the time) with the "traditional" swapping of the red and blue channels, and work the color balance to something I like, then often I'll do hue shifts on parts of the color spectrum by using the color picker on the hue/saturation tool in photoshop. I even have a couple in my inbox (one is on my home page) that were shot at night that I inverted (made a negative) and played with it from there... so AFAIK, I am free to manipulate the images to please my eye.

We can of course, discuss this when we do get together.

Thanks for the kind words :eek:)

Steve

8. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Steve, your photos are excellent. Your titles even more so.

btw, Creed is my fave, and I'll bet Path to Flamingo is a hot seller.

9. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Most of them quite nice, except for the "Path to Flamingo" which is too much cliché for my taste. "Creed", "Nuisance" and "Hotplate" all very good.

I consider good IR images are when IR adds its own unique contribution instead of being just another way of communication. So, what I prefer is an image which wouldn't be feasible, or at least very difficult, to get using ordinary techniques. That foliage becomes bright isn't enough by itself, there has to be more added impact than that.

Since IR by defintion hasn't any colours, you are clearly free to do anything you wish to these non-existing entities :biggrin:

10. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    Hi Chris,

Thanks for your kind words. The titles are something I do as an internal exercise... if I can't title a shot, I figure it doesn't have enough value :smile:

11. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    Hi Bjørn,

You've certainly made my day here :smile:. I totally agree that path to flamingo is cliché, but it's the type of stuff that many (most?) IR shooters want to see and shoot themselves, so I'll continue to do a little of it here and there, but obviously, it's not my focus.

Everyone seems to like creed, it was indeed a lucky grab I guess. That you mentioned hot plate and nuisance... You're one of the first to pick those out specifically, and those are much closer to what I'm trying to do with my IR work, so that's what really made my day. They may not "reach" the masses, but I guess that's not really what I'm trying to do, otherwise I'd be searching the grand landscapes and so on... Absolutely nothing wrong with more traditional work, I'm just trying to do something a little different, glad it reaches those that have an appreciation for that.

Thanks ever so much for your kind words... icing on the cake, to say the least.

12. Hi Steve, I see you are hard at it with the IR. My favorite is Creed but there are others that I like also. Keep it up.

13. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    Hey Gordon,

Are you kidding me??? I'm absolutely in love with my IR mod. As soon as I got the D2x in my hands last april, I thought it was the end of D70 use unless the unthinkable happend to my baby. Now, I just can't get enough of the D70 mod. It's like this whole new world of creative possibilities have opened up for me. Heck, I'm soon going to get into a second phase of IR work which is shooting things that would have no added value in IR, but would make a good black and white shot, becuase I am blown away with the b&w converts I get out of the cam... far better than anything I've done from a color shot. I'm very picky about black and white, but IR seems to have the DR and contrast that I crave.

Stay tuned, there's pleanty more coming.

Thanks for the comments!

Steve