A few loons

Discussion in 'Birds' started by RKnecht, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Here are a few from this afternoon's kayak ride around the lake. All were with the D5 and 200-500VR hand held.

RD5_6100FB-XL.

RD5_6036FB-XL.

RD5_6069FB-XL.

As always, C&C is always welcomed.

• Like Like x 1
  2. What I expected

So my theory is Nikon is sacrificing profit to keep sigma at bay, this lens is way better than it should be
    Handling alone kills the big sig.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Oh my, these are spectacular. The clarity and focus is outstanding and I love the way the dark background really sets the loons apart. Well done.

4. Stunning. You got so low, especially in the first.

5. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Bam!!!! Stunning images! LOVE #2! Not sure I could handle this lens, but you sure can!

6. Even if it's too much to shoot it's a breeze to hike with, compared to the 500/4. I'm thinking places like the Orlando wetlands where you have to walk. My 500e on a tripod wore me out there

7. Karen, rent one. You might be surprised at how easy this lens is to use hand held. It feels nice and balanced with either the D5 or D810. My next kayak trip will be with this lens and the 810. Can't wait as I think with the resolving power of the 810's sensor, the results will be even more impressive.

8. BrianDW

BrianDW

May 14, 2014
    Portsmouth UK
    Wow. Knockout shots. As already said, the clarity and sharpness are wonderful.

9. Absolutely stunning!

10. mnp13

mnp13

Jul 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    These are amazing!

11. Great job with the highlights, especially on the 2nd one.

12. Thank you Allan, the light was much kinder in that spot.

13. Gotta love 'em! Had my first "go" with an adult and baby the week of the 4th, I was using a D500 with the 300 PF plus 1.4 TC from a row boat. Being on the water sure helps. Can't wait until next year when I'll take my own boat up, and be able to get even a bit lower.

The patterns are amazing, my personal favorites are 2 and 3, oh, and maybe 1 as well ;)

14. Well these are simply amazing. I love the BG's and you being so low to the water. Don't think I have seen better loons between you and Allan.

15. good looking photos...............

16. asaya

asaya Subscribing Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    Tony Saya
    Pretty awesome especially the second one, some day have to try the kayak routine