A few minutes with the Cardinal family

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Glacier, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Taken today in my yard. I had about 30 minutes of free time this afternoon so I sat beside my truck to see what might be lurking around. I open a door and sit behind it for a semi blind. Works pretty good as long as there are no sudden or animated movements. Or kids and dogs. :tongue:

The ever watchful mother directly above the babies.

[​IMG]

These two would drop out of the tree and forage around the base. I left the tree trunk in this image because it was an important part of where they were and what they were doing.

[​IMG]

Getting braver!

[​IMG]

Looks like a young male and he finally got very bold! He stayed bold for about three seconds before heading back to the tree where mother was watching.

[​IMG]

2. Very nice set. I love cardinals! I have a few at my feeder, but I haven't been able to capture images of them. Kudos to you!!

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very nice shots

4. Excellent shots.

5. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Thanks!

Thanks Crystall! They can be very skittish. Being very still is about the only way to keep them in your viewfinder.

Thanks Gale!

Thank you Alex!

6. Tim O

Tim O

Jun 11, 2006
    Illinois
    Way to go Andy,really like the way you got the whole family in this series.I haven't seen any young ones yet but mom & dad are at the feeders all the time now,thanks for sharing:smile:

7. These are really nice Andy #i is to me perfect because of the enviorment you have with the bird. A vehicle is one of the best blinds you can have and if you place a towel in the door frame with the window open you can sit in the truck or car and never really be seen. I do it all the time and I made a piece of foam to rest my 500 on that fits on the glass that I have raised just a bit. Watch those power windows though I crushed a lens cover quite a bit in error one time trying to raise the mount and the damn thing kept going closed. OUCH
    Lou

8. Beautiful shots! I like using my bean bag when I sit in my van.

9. Schnauzermom

Schnauzermom

Apr 13, 2007
    Michigan
    Those are fabulous!

10. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Thank you Tim!

I do the same thing Lou. I have a piece of material I clamp to the window and it is very effective.

Thanks for looking Dianne!

Thank you!

11. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Excellent set Andy. I've used the same truck / blind technique myself quite a bit lately, and as you say, as long as you are very still, it works pretty well. :smile:

12. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    Are those "punk" Cardinals? Whatever, great images.