A few model shots from class this weekend

Discussion in 'People' started by JeffKohn, Jun 13, 2005.

1. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I attended a lighting class/workshop put on by a local photographer here in Houston on Sunday. Some of the intro/background portion of the course was familiar territory for me as I've been reading up quite a bit on this stuff, but the class was definitely worthwhile because you can only get so much out of books; actually seeing the setups and getting some real shooting experience is the only way to truly learn this stuff I think.

My portrait experience before this consisted of a few portraits of my friend's baby and some portraits of my brother's family, so this was definitely a new experience for me. Here are a few shots from the hands-on portion of the class. (click on the picture to view the PBase page with shooting info)

original.

View attachment 10426

I recalled one of the models mentioning some interest in B/W shots at one point so I tried a couple of B/W conversions:

View attachment 10427

View attachment 10428

There are a few more shots in the gallery here: http://www.pbase.com/jkohn/lighting_workshop
    As always, comments and feedback welcome.

2. Very striking photos. What will you do differently now that you have some experience?

3. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Great light. Particularly photo #3 is very captivating.

4. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Where to begin... :) Well I guess the experience just empahasized how much there is to think about and keep track of when shooting portraits. The technical details of operating the camera gear and lighting equipment need to be second nature if you want to be able to keep things moving smoothly, because you really need to be able to focus your attention on all the other minor details. I'm pretty comfortable with my camera's operation but the lighting is a bit new. I also found out just how challenging it can be to figure out how to pose somebody and then communicate that to them. I think that's something that's just going to take practice and experience. I guess one other major thing I realized looking back at my shots is that it's important to shoot a variety of compositions, because even a series of different poses will start to look the same if they're all framed the same way.

5. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Thanks anand. I think that's probably my favorite shot as well. Jourdan had incredible eyes, and when I looked at the 'L' channel of that shot I liked that the overall low contrast of the shot seemed to emphasize her eyes. I did have to use a dodge/burn layer to darken the lips so that they didn't just blend into the skintones.

6. Don't you love workshops where there are other people there to worry about the models, their hair, makeup, and paycheck!? :D

The blonde girl is stunning. Her expression in her first photo is excellent. It looks as if there was a gold reflector used on your left. Gold reflectors need a smidge of exposure compensation. I would guess that her skin is 1/3 to 2/3 of a stop underexposed. You can easily fix that with levels or curves to really make her pop.

The B&W shots really pop, very nice conversions. I particularly like the contrast in the second B&W shot.

The brunette's pose isn't very interesting, though I wouldn't think that would be your fault. But her first shot (color) has some orange-cast skin tones, was this a gold reflector too? I'm thinking you could tame that gold reflector with few WB adjustments.

Overall I think you have some great work here, have any more to share?

7. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    It was actually hotlights used in these setups that were providing the warmth. We also did some shots with strobes but I wasn't really happy with the way mine came out (too much DOF due to shooting aperture).

I agree the posing leaves a bit to be desired in Cathalina's shots, though I take part of the blame there. Of the two models, Jourdan (the blonde) was a bit more at ease and seemed more experienced, she'd obviously had lots of practice posing. Cathalina seemed a bit more stiff but maybe she's was just a bit overwhelmed by having to deal with 10 newbie photographers. :)

I agree the skintones are maybe a little too warm in the second shot, I may revisit that one. Where it really stands out is on her left arm where part of it is shaded by the tree and isn't getting the warmth from the hotlight.

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. There are a few more shots on the pbase page linked at the bottom of my original post but I didn't really come home with too many shots. Since it was an "intro" class a fair amount of time was spent on lecture and demonstration before we got to do some shooting of our own, plus there were 10 of us so shooting time for each student was limited. If I go to any future classes I'll definitely want them to be more geared towards getting hands-on experience since at this point I think the most valuable learning tool for me is going to be getting more practice.

8. I would say that 1 and 3 are the one i like the most because the model has a more relax attitude and those eyes are so beautiful.

9. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Joe I took some of your feedback into consideration re: the skintones in the color shots and agreed, so I did a bit of tweaking to those shots. I also increased the contrast a bit in the first B/W shot.

For some strange reason IE is refusing to update the cached version for the embedded images in this thread even after hitting F5 and restarting the browser (at least for me). So it may be necessary to click on each image to view the PBase version to see the differences. (You may also have to hit F5 to get the PBase verison to refresh)

10. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I agree, Jourdan definitely had an air of confidence that came through in her posing. Thanks for looking.