A few more 70-200VR + 500D shots

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Flew, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I needed a shooting fix yesterday (been very busy lately :? ), so I whipped the 500D on the 70-200VR and headed to the yard. Nothing really spectacular here; I just wanted to share. 8)

Bug. I missed the focus about 0.25mm on this one dang it:
    [​IMG]

Day Lily w/ant:
    [​IMG]

Closer to the Day Lily:
    [​IMG]

Just another flower:
    [​IMG]

A few more can be seen here:
    http://flew.smugmug.com/gallery/625194/1/26542566

Thanks for stopping by.

2. Very very nice, Frank. You using a tripod on these? I haven't dabbled with the 500D too much. You're doing well with it so far! Keep up the good work.

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Sandi,

Yes, I use a tripod. Unlike young whippersnappers like you, my hands are way too shaky to shoot hand held when the DOF is only 1mm. 8)

I am really enjoying this combo. It allows me to go out and shoot right here at home, and I can usually find something to make my victim. Sometimes I go out and spend 2 - 3 hours waiting for the birdies and get zilch. :roll:

If you haven't tried your 500D much yet, you really need to go out and play with it. It is a ton of fun, and almost as good as most true macro lenses. As a matter of fact, it is better in one way. The working distance with it and the 70-200VR is between 14 and 18 inches. Makes composing the shot a whole lot easier.

Thanks for your kind response. :wink:

4. you sure do get results with this combo. VERY impressive. I particularly like the last one.

5. Ditto on both comments! :lol:

6. These are nice, Frank. I especially like the colors. And the lily with the brown background is exceptionally nice!

7. Hi Frank

One sign of a good photographer is that the photos just jump off the screen and evoke an emotional response - and yours surely do!

I have a 105mm micro - think I should get the 500D as well, to go with my 70-200?

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks Dave, Crystall, and Kevin. I appreciate the very kind words. As you can probably tell, I'm having a very good time with this combo. 8)

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks Rory. That means a lot coming from someone with your skills. I certainly like the 500D with my 70-200VR. I've been trying to get Dave to do some comparison shots with his 70-200 and the 500D versus the 200mm micro, but he is just not cooperating. 8)

I've never shot with a true macro lens, so I can't say how it compares, but I sure like the results I'm getting. The neat thing is, the 500D is only about $135, so it's a relatively inexpensive option.

10. Sharp shots with the combo Frank. I don't think I can get more sharpness with my two Tamron than these. May be the Nikon 200mm f/4 micro can do a better job :roll: What do you think Dave?

11. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Dao,

I forgot (old age again :?), which Tamrons do you have?

As for Dave, he just enjoys torturing me. He's going to piddle around for a few more days before I get my comparison samples.... :lol:

12. I honestly believe that the 200mm micro will come out on top with careful testing and evaluation. The question then becomes does it does it do 1325.00 better? I really hope to get some good comparisons while in cranberry glades the next few days. (piddling)
    I just found out that about 15000 or so are going to be desending on the wilderness area for something called Rainbow 2005. Sure hope it does not mess up my vacation and ability to relax while shooting flowers.

13. regit

regit

Jan 31, 2005
    Looking good, Frank :) I've heard so much about the combo and I can see that they are not overrated :) I bought a Nikon 4T recently for my E75-150... Your pictures make me want to go out and try the combo out :)

14. My choice are the last two. The first of the two for very very good composition and the last for outstanding texture.

As for the 500D does it screwed directly on the lens and what about the lenshood does it fits well.

The reason to use a tripod.

1) good resting place for the camera while hunting for a good picture.

2) best way to have a very good framing.

3) and last to have a super sharp picture.

Note: I am on my way to a Dslr, the 70-200VR has been ordered this week, the reason I choose it first is because of the so many outstanding pictures I have seen on the site taken with that lens. The most difficult decision will be which camera.

15. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Regit,

G'day mate. Glad to see your posts again. You really should give this combo a try. The zoom and VR are nice to have when shooting close-up, and as I told Sandi, the working distance is very convenient as well.

16. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Gilles,

Thanks for the kind comments. Yes, the 500D screws into the front of the lens (in my case, it screws into the front of my UV filter). The lens hood is not affected by the use of this add-on, but I usually leave it off because I don't want it to block any of the flash.

As to the use of a tripod, as a mentioned to Sandi, it is generally not an option with me. My hands are just not steady enough to get consistently sharp shots without one. I have shot hand held on a couple of occasions, but that is the exception.

As to which DSLR you should choose, well you are lucky in that there are so many good choices, from Nikon and other companies. From the relatively affordable D50 up to the D2X, you almost can't pick a bad one. :wink:

17. Frank have you ever use a mirror to direct light on the subject instead of the flash?

18. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Gilles,

I'd never even heard of this technique until I read about it in a recent post from Klaus. Do you have any good shots of such a set-up?

19. Frank I took them a little fast but that will give an idea of what it can do.

Flower in the shadow

[​IMG]

Flower in the shadow using a mirror to light it up

[​IMG]

Note: I once read that the worst time to take picture, because of the angle of the sun is between 10 am and 4 pm.

20. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks Gilles. I was hoping that you could also show the position of the mirror. :wink:

If it is too much trouble, I can probably figure it out. I appreciate the effort.