A few more blooms from Greenspring...

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by lanthier, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Okay, a few more random blooms from the tough shooting day at Greenspring on Friday. Tripod mounted D700, 150mm macro with 1.4TC, remote shutter, MLU, 200 ISO, NEFs converted with ACR...

1. These beautiful little orchid-like blooms seem all over the place here in Virginia. These fragile little things blow in the slightest breeze and I could not believe I was able to capture this this well on Friday (pretty big wind!)... These are the blooms of the Jewel Weed plant. Thanks Birgit for the ID!

f/4 1/40

9508varioussm1-vi.jpg

2. These giant red hibiscus were just incredible. Again, because of the wind... really tough!

f/8 1/40

9508varioussm2-vi.jpg

3. There were a few clumps of these beautiful lilies... I fear that I did not do them justice...

f5 1/1600

9508varioussm3-vi.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2008
  2. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Nice shots Rich. #2 really stands out to me.

3. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    More nice stuff from you Rich, it was hard to choose a favourite but I do like really like no1. It's a fascinating bloom, so very fragile and delicate looking. I am glad that you’re sticking with the NEFs, I’m sure the advantages of RAW shooting will make themselves clear in time.

I too have a large set of botanical garden shots in the pipeline; they're from Kew Gardens in London which is the largest establishment of its type in the country. Unfortunately because I visited with my family who believe the existence of activities other than photographing flowers I didn’t have the opportunity to get any ‘proper’ shots as you did here, however there’s some decent handheld stuff to show off once I’m done with what seems like an endless torrent of PP.

4. ktz_04

ktz_04

Mar 17, 2008
    Chattanooga, TN
    very nice capture!!!

5. Thanks Paul, that was one of those gigantic hugely impressive hibiscus, that just kind of take your breath away when you see them. I tried for a bit to get a perfect capture, but the wind and crazy light prevented that...

Kew! Never visited your fair country, but that would certainly be on my list of gardens to visit in this lifetime... I would leave the family at home, maybe they could visit the American Girl doll shop :wink:, while I shot away... I looked it up and the maps make it look quite large, true? Greenspring is tiny by comparison, but it is free, and very well done...

Anyway, that first one was such a challenge, blooms on light stalks blowing drastically with any whisper of breeze, and it was WINDY!

Thanks for looking and your comments as always Robert. I'll be on the lookout for posts from your Kew series...

6. Thanks for looking KTZ...

7. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Rich, you mentioned the wind, but it looks like the lighting was a challenge too. I like all three shots, but find the hibiscus most interesting. [My wife planted ours in a place that makes photography awkward -- I'm still trying to get a decent shot.:redface:]

8. Thanks Bob, kind of you to stop by. These were really a challenge, and you are right about the light in that particular shot especially, and combined with the wind, I was surprised I got one as nice as this! :smile:

9. Your first shot is a Jewel Weed flower. They grow rampantly all over my property and I have to pull them up where they are not wanted. This weed is good for rubbing on skin that has touched poison ivy. The hummers love the flowers.

10. Thanks for the ID Birgit. I would imagine they would be annoying if not where you want them. I find them quite pretty in natural settings!

11. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    great stuff Rich
    great detail

that Sigma 150, IMO, seems to be their best lens...
    and you know how to use it well...

12. tektite

tektite

Jan 23, 2006
    SE NH
    Nice shots Rich! Especially like #1 which now has a name thanks to Birgit.

Gary

13. Thank you Frank. It is a fine lens. Likely the only way I will replace it is if Nikon replaces the 200 micro with something fabulous...

Thanks Gary, I should edit the original post to reflect Birgit's ID on the first.

14. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Beautiful series. As usual the composition and colors are excellent.

15. Kind of you Torben... Thanks!