1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

A Few More From Alaska

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Ken K, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Ken K

Ken K

Dec 10, 2007
    Cincinnati Ohio
    When we were in Kodiak the Lupines were in full bloom. In the isolated areas of the island, they were everywhere. In the 2nd shot, there were literally acers and acers of them.

original.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

original.jpg

original.jpg

2. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    #2 is super for me - just love lupines!! Looks like baldy in #3 likes them too!

3. Ken,

The second photo is my favorite. I really like how the color of the flowers matches the color of the building.

The third image is excellent as well.

Thanks for sharing...
    Glenn

4. ArtO

ArtO

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    Can't see #2 but the other shots are super. I really like that eagle shot.

5. Ken K

Ken K

Dec 10, 2007
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Thanks for looking, Glen. The location I took these was just covered with Lupines and when the wind blew they swayed back and forth in unison. It was just a beautiful site.

6. Ken K

Ken K

Dec 10, 2007
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Thanks for looking, Mark. If you like Lupines, that was the place to be, like I said, they were everywhere.

7. Maxone

Maxone

Jun 4, 2008
    Ireland
    Very nice. I would like to visit Alaska.

8. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Very nicely done . That eagle shot is fantastic !

9. Ken
    great pictures
    the flowers are beautiful

#2 is my favorite here
    well done

10. Ken K

Ken K

Dec 10, 2007
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Thaks forr looking and your comment.I appreciate it!

11. Ken K

Ken K

Dec 10, 2007
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Thanks for looking,Greg.

I miss your candid people photos .

12. Loki_D_Wolf

Loki_D_Wolf Guest

Unique

Incredible shots! I mean just the way you lined things up was perfect. For me #3 is my favorite. I mean who catches an eagle like that?! I mean sure, in a tree or on a rock high above. But to be right there is what did it for me. It's so "out of place" yet I know that's where it belongs. Blows all the typical pics we come to expect out the water!

13. Ken K

Ken K

Dec 10, 2007
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Thanks for not only taking time to look, but also for your comments. They are greatly appreciated.

Eagles are everywhere on Kodiak Island. The locals refer to them as Kodiak's pigeons. In the winter months, when the salmon are'nt available for food, they congerate in large numbers around the cannerys in the city of Kodiak.

Last March I saw on the network news that 50 eagles descended on a truck hauling waste from one of the cannerys, not only gorged themselves but got entangled in the waste and could'nt fly. They were taken to the local cannerys to be cleaned as best they could, but unfortunately, 19 of them did'nt make it.

When we were in Kodiak, I ask one of the locals if this happend as reported and was told it was fact. The trucks are supposed to be covered when they leave the cannerys, but one left with no cover.

Thamks again for your comments.

14. Ken K

Ken K

Dec 10, 2007
    Cincinnati Ohio
    I appreciate you taking the time to look, Louis. I appreciate it.

15. Photo #2 has the best composition and colors but the foreground looks oversharpened. Do you think you applied to much?

16. Ken K

Ken K

Dec 10, 2007
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Thanks for the comments and observation on #2. You are correct, I did additional sharpning on the foreground. There was a breeze blowing and I was shooting with an ISO 100, with a 80-200 zoom @ 100 @ F5. The foreground was slightly blurred and I tried to compensate for it by extra sharpening. I should have bumped the ISO and shot at a smaller apeture.

But thanks again for looking. Your C&C are always welcomed.

17. Loki_D_Wolf

Loki_D_Wolf Guest

Going Bald

Unfortunately there is always tragedy with animals. Regardless you have some money makers right there! I hope to visit Alaska one day. It's on my list of things to do before I move on. :wink:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.