A few more from Antelope Canyon

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by joecolson, Jun 26, 2005.

1. joecolson

joecolson

Jan 28, 2005
    Cary, NC
    I just uploaded a few more shots from Antelope Canyon to a PBase gallery: http://www.pbase.com/jcolson/antelope_canyon

These shots were all taken on June 23 and show the range of light, shadow and color that the canyon presents. After this, my first, trip to the Upper Antelope Canyon, I learned some lessons that I'll apply next time:
    1. Pack simply. A single body and either the 17-35mm or 28mm would suffice.

2. Be prepared for tourists. Be patient and work around them. Or travel at a non-peak tourist time of year. The problem with the latter is those times are also not ideal for light in the canyon.
    3. Allow at least 2 hours. Time flies when you're having fun.

4. Be prepared for long exposures. Bring a sturdy tripod and a cable release or wireless infrared remote.

5. Be prepared for dust. That is what makes the light beams visible. And be prepared to toss dust in the air. Mike Worley left a cup behind for the guide after using it to create the "dust clouds".
    6. Leave the filters behind.

7. Use a WB of Cloudy or 7100-7500K. Shooting RAW helps because you can adjust WB later if you don't nail it.

8. Use the histogram for every shot. Blowing the red channel is a fact of life in these canyons. The D2X split histogram is a life saver.

9. Go straight to the canyon site and use the Navajo guides. You don't need to go into Page unless you absolutely want to. The Navajo guides give you a lot of freedom to shoot at your leisure (for 2 hours).

I'd appreciate your comments on these shots, and hope that you all get to go to this wonderful place:

View attachment 11143

View attachment 11144

Enjoy.

Joe

2. They are all nice but #1 is outstanding. Way to go.

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Those are just Beautiful.

Great job.
    Thanks for sharing.
    What a wonderful experience.

4. Joe,

Thanks for posting. As I've said before, this is without a doubt one of my favorite places to experience.

You've listed some great suggestions for folks that may want to visit; the only thing I would add is that "being prepared for dust" should probably also include keeping your gear in a plastic bag while not shooting. The amount of dust in the air (and falling from the slot above you) can't be overstated. I was amazed to see people in there changing lenses on DSLRs when I was there... wouldn't dream of doing that with my equipment in that environment.

Great shots! Keep posting please...

5. #1 is killer Joe grat exposre adn the sand is just perfect a wall hanger for sure

6. joecolson

joecolson

Jan 28, 2005
    Cary, NC
    Thanks to you all for your comments. I do appreciate your taking the time to look at my shots and critique them.

I agree with David that dust is a major issue in the canyon. Don't plan to change lenses (although I did, well away from the crowd and the dust) and be prepared to clean your gear thoroughly when you're done.

I intend to post some more shots from Bryce, Zion and Antelope Canyon sometime today or tomorrow.

Joe

7. Great images Joe and sage advice too I can only imagine the dust nightmares that could occur.

8. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Thanks for this great, informative post. Gorgeous pictures, too!!! I've bookmarked this for future reference.

9. Stunning, simply stunning....