A Few More From Last Weekend

I am almost done sorting photos from last weekend. My last day of teaching for the school year was yesterday. So, I should have more time (which I will probably use shooting!).

1. Some type of flycatcher - Pewee?
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Killdeer

3. Blue Grosbeak - I could not get closer to this bird

Really nice shots, like them all!

As to the ID on the flycatcher, well this is treacherous waters. Here's my take. Is this a Peewee? Well, all Peewees show a dark chest or a dark breast band and a smaller white throat, whearas this bird is primarily white through out the neck and breast. So we now default to Empids, the bane of bird IDs. For Empids we need to rely on geography, voice and behavior since field identification is very hard. Since this is a spring bird seen in Missouri we can narrow it down to Arcadian or Willow. A spring Arcadian would show a strong eye ring and strong wing bars, whereas this bird has a broken or weak eye ring and dull bars.

I'd call this bird a Willow Flycatcher.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Very nice set...!

I'm with Dan, the bird may be small but the framing is ver good..! :smile:
Thanks, William. I like it too. But, it would have been nice to have the portrait as well.
Nice set, Aaron. The third one is actually my favorite. Lovely colors and a nice habitat shot.
Thanks, Dan. I tend to like shots with some habitat as well.
I like these. I believe that top one is an Eastern Wood Peewee.
Thanks, Rich. I am still unsure of the true identity.
Really nice shots, like them all!

As to the ID on the flycatcher, well this is treacherous waters. Here's my take. Is this a Peewee? Well, all Peewees show a dark chest or a dark breast band and a smaller white throat, whearas this bird is primarily white through out the neck and breast. So we now default to Empids, the bane of bird IDs. For Empids we need to rely on geography, voice and behavior since field identification is very hard. Since this is a spring bird seen in Missouri we can narrow it down to Arcadian or Willow. A spring Arcadian would show a strong eye ring and strong wing bars, whereas this bird has a broken or weak eye ring and dull bars.

I'd call this bird a Willow Flycatcher.
Thanks for your comments and input. I would tend to agree with you. My guides also show a difference of where the wing comes down the tail that would indicate willow flycatcher over pewee.
Nice set Aaron.
Thank you, Derek.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom