A few more from Merritt II

Discussion in 'Merritt Island II' started by Flew, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I've been so busy at work and at home that I've barely looked at my long list of shots that need to be processed. I did finally go through a few late last night and early this morning. The processing was kind of hurried, but I just wanted to get them up.

All taken with the D2H / 300mm f2.8.

Final approach:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nest building:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fly-over:
    [​IMG]

Mommy's home:
    [​IMG]

More can be seen here:
    http://flew.smugmug.com/gallery/585828/25555398

Thanks for looking.

2. #6 is exceptional. Thanks for sharing. It is challenging to process from such a prolific shoot.

3. Hey Frank, #6 is my favorite, too! I just love the look of the light coming through their wing feathers. It's such an incredible sight. Bravo! ;)

4. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hey Frank - Great shots, as usual. I think #6 is great too, but #3 is my favorite. More action, IMO. You got the exposures nailed. The range of EVs in pics like this are very small. Did you use any EV comp at all? You were using the 300/2.8 on a Wimberley as I recall. Would you have to be an NFL lineman to hand hold this lens? How about a person with more normal size and strength.

Gordon

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Wow Gordon, you are either up real late or real early. :lol:

I shot this (and most of my shots at the rookery) in full manual mode, so no EV comp. I basically followed Ron R's advice. Meter the birds in A mode to get in the ballpark, switch to M using those aperture and shutter settings and tweak from there using the histogram.

This is not a combo that I can hand hold and get consistent shots, both because it is too heavy, and because my hands are too shaky.

6. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hey Frank,

Marvelous shots. You did very well with the lousy lighting we had to contend with.

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Frank,
    I commented on this yesterday and guess I forgot to hit the damn submit button again. Hate it when I do that.

these are really really great.

wish I could get the rest of mine processed.

Trying to rest the old wrists. :>))

8. Just awesome dont know how I missed these, you are the flight master for sure