A few more native orchids

It was a cold, wet winters day here in Melbourne, but I ventured out to a local reserve to check on the native orchids.

The Pelican orchids are tiny, in fact all of these orchids are not big at all. The pelicans flowers can easily sit on my pinky fingernail. They are not easy to spot in the bush, I find the leaves first before trying to find ones in flower. To photograph these Pelican orchids, like many of the helmet orchids, the lens needs to be at ground level to get a good view of the flower.

#1 Pelican Orchid (Corybas unguiculatus)
50077900821_31b6383edc_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

#2 Pelican Orchid (Corybas unguiculatus)
50077329688_7ce7246621_b.jpg

#3 Pelican Orchid (Corybas unguiculatus)
50078151292_ccbb2f63e8_b.jpg

#4 Tall Greenhood (Pterostylis melagramma)
50078150882_d66de5a662_b.jpg

#5 Trim Greenhood (Pterostylis concinna)
50077329328_63bcdce173_b.jpg

EDIT: Going by the response to my last post on native orchids, I feel they are not a popular subject on this forum. Sorry about that, I'll stick to the nature groups.

Last edited:
Having chased a few exotic, tiny orchids myself, I do find these interesting. And I admire your dedication in finding and photographing them under adverse conditions.

But I know they are not everyone's cup o'tea.

Please keep them coming.

I am very surprised if people are not interested in these most unusual and fascinating little orchids.
I had no idea that these little jewels even existed (not yet having been able to visit Australia) and I have never seen them represented in any international Orchid Show.
Your "Pelican" orchids are truly well named!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Having chased a few exotic, tiny orchids myself, I do find these interesting. And I admire your dedication in finding and photographing them under adverse conditions.

But I know they are not everyone's cup o'tea.

Please keep them coming.
Thank you Jim. My concern is spamming the forum with posts which are not well received.

I am very surprised if people are not interested in these most unusual and fascinating little orchids.
I had no idea that these little jewels even existed (not yet having been able to visit Australia) and I have never seen them represented in any international Orchid Show.
Your "Pelican" orchids are truly well named!
I guess with flowers and fungi, you either like them or not. If you are interested in seeing images of our native orchids and/or fungi I can point you to a few Facebook groups where you will get a species overload. It is also worth joining a couple of the New Zealand ones as well if you are interested, as they do get similar but also have other varieties. There are a few web pages as well if FB is not your thing.

This site has various orchid groups listed from around the globe, many with a gallery.

https://www.orchidwire.com/Wild/index.html

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom