A few more....

Discussion in 'People' started by tomj, Jun 10, 2007.

1. tomj

tomj

Feb 5, 2006
    Oklahoma
    with basically the same setup as in my "Cool Blue" post.

This one was shot yesterday. I call it:
    Lunch and a hairdoo.
    original.

I shot this one today. I know the lighting is flat but I was just happy to get a decent pose out of her. This one was shot at f1.6.

Big girl pose
    original.

2. Bill Gates

Bill Gates

Oct 26, 2006
    Toronto, ON

Hey Tom, those are some great portrait shots! just wondering how you get your colors to "pop" like that. I normally apply some curve settings and sometimes levels but my images never come out vivid like yours. is it a matter of tweaking more contrast, etc... to get that "magazine look"? your cool blue images are fantastic! and your daughter has beautiful eyes i might add. also do you perform all your PP in Capture NX or Photoshop?

3. tomj

tomj

Feb 5, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Hello Bill, thanks so much for the kind comments.

I think it is real important (i may be wrong) to get the in-camera white balance as close as possible prior to shooting. From some of my testing, it seems difficult if not impossible to correct an image with a wrong WB to look like the same image shot with the correct WB.

Normally, I set my camera to low contrast and do any rough contrast adjustments in Capture 4 using levels and or curves. I do all my final adjustments in CS2. I adjust hue, saturation, etc. as needed and do my final level and curve tweaks. As far as the Cool Blue shots, I used a fluorescent -2 in cam WB and adjusted to taste later in NC. I was just experimenting with this series and came up with a few shots I liked. Its just a trial and error thing I guess. I don't have a standard workflow that I could pass on, as I am constantly exploring many different pp possibilities.

Regards,

4. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    I love the B&W processing. Very sharp features and good grain (noise) in the background.

Make sure that you shoot in RAW, because you can adjust the WB however you want afterwards, and use whichever colour space you want. Also, recovering detail in blown highlights or underexposed areas is a lot easier. You can even produce multiple exposures and use them for HDR.

Once you've done your RAW conversion into Photoshop, use "Black and White" filter in CS3 or "Channel Mixer" in older versions of Photoshop to convert to B&W.

One trick I use is to apply a local contrast filter. Create a duplicate layer of your image, and use an unsharp mask filter. Use the settings 20% strength, 50% radius. I like the results better than contrast adjustment alone. It can get more complex than that, you can read more about it here:http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/local-contrast-enhancement.htm

5. JD Photography

JD Photography

Aug 4, 2006
    Boston
    love #1...amazing bw conversion Tom

6. Tom, very very nice both of them - I don't think light in nr.2 is too flat; I would say "even" :biggrin: and your PP more than compensate for it, great job! :smile: thanks for sharing

7. cuss2much

cuss2much Guest

excellent as usual...

8. Bill Gates

Bill Gates

Oct 26, 2006
    Toronto, ON

Thanks for the tips Tom, looking forward to seeing more of your work. :smile:

9. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    OMGOSH...your daughter is beautiful. I didn't realize she had that color hair...that is such an unsual color. I mean this in the upmost complimentary way - people pay money to have hair color like that...it's beautiful.

She's beautiful...!!

10. Getson

Getson

Oct 10, 2006
    Halifax, NS
    I really like the high contrast B&W and the framing of that first shot. It's timeless. Very well done!

11. Tom, great processing on #1...love it.

#2...wow...if that doesn't show you how time flies...she looks so old...kinda scary, huh? Wonderful capture and processing...lovely...

12. tech1961

tech1961

Jan 28, 2007
    Houston Tx.
    Tom those are great captures of your daughter.

13. As cool as cool can be Tom! :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

G

14. i love the images you post that are in the style of the first one. they're unique and great.

15. Duschoolboy

Duschoolboy

Dec 17, 2006
    Tom,
    The second shot is beautiful. Anyone that shots kids will appreciate such a priceless pose.

16. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Man your photography is amazing Tom. These are excellent! I may sound like a broken record as they say, but I love your work.

17. :biggrin:

Now I understand the photo opportunity, already wondered a bit about the wet hair. That first one gave me a chuckle, I like it very much.

18. tomj

tomj

Feb 5, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Thanks Taylor, I appreciate the kind words and the tip. I will check out that website.

Thanks a bunch JD.

Hello Vieri. I greatly appreciate the kind response.

Thank You Cuss.

Anytime Bill.

Hello Seneca. Thanks for your kind reply. Her hair is not quite as vivid as that but it does appear much redder and brighter under certain lighting conditions. I didn't do anything in processing to intentionally exaggerate the color but it did enhance it some.

Thanks Dave!

Hey John, I always appreciate your input. She is growing up way too fast and that shot really made her look older, though that wasn't my intention.

Thank you Jimmy.

Howdy Graeme. Always good to hear from you. Thanks man.

Thank you Laura, I greatly appreciate your reply.

Thanks Mike!

Wow, thanks Fred. That is very kind of you to say. I am a fan of your work as well. I just wish I could shoot some of the models you have photographed. I hope that one of these days I can get someone other than my daughter to pose for me.

Thank you Daniel!!