A few of my favorites

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Kevin Scott, Jul 2, 2005.

1. I was at Gatorland last weekend but when I came home to download, my harddrive was nearly full. So, I spent the week burning files to CD to open up some space. Finally got a chance to play around with some of the files from last weekend and here are a few of my favorite flight shots.

I must add that these hold special value to me as within 5 minutes of being at Gatorland, I was crapped on by some mean bird. Side of the head, shoulders and down the front of my shirt! Made for a lovely day! :oops:

Anyway, here's a snowy:
    [​IMG]

And a tricolored heron:
    [​IMG]

And an egret:
    [​IMG]

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice Kevin. Sorry about the birdie poop. 8)

3. Excellent clarity and colors on those! My favorite is the heron in #2. The blend of colors from the backgroud and the frame complement the subject very nicely. A little bird poop is not too high a price for such precious images, is it?... :shock: :twisted: :lol: No, i'm sorry about that, too. ;-)

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    really great stuff Kevin.

5. Thanks guys!

Philippe, I've been noticing that my "keeper" rate is getting better with these flying bird shots. I've been trying to use a smaller aperture so more is in focus but need to wait till the rain stops here! ;)

Thanks for looking and yeah, the bird poop was kinda worth it, aside from suffering through the wafting odor. :D

6. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Hey Kevin,

Wonderful shots, all of them! Is that 1st bird really 1/2 grey 1/2 white, or am I seeing something wierd here? Never seen anything like it before.

7. Hi Steve, no the bird is actually all white. The background is a huge bank of clouds that were rolling in for our afternoon showers. It was still sunny at that point so what you're seeing is the shadow from the wing. :)

8. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Kevin - Great shots! I imagine that you pretty much had the place to yourself because nobody wanted to be near you. You were sooooo lucky to get pooped on as you came in. :p

BTW your avatar gets my vote for best in show. Clearly uglier that Frank's!

Gordon

9. Very nice shots all of them. I just went out and purchased a new hat just for that reason. And who says photography isn't a contact sport??

10. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

ROFLMAO

Gordon

11. Nice series Kevin, really like #2 and but I keep going back to #1, heck there all nice ;-) Really like your framing as well, very tasteful

thx
    Keith

12. You're right, Gordon, people did keep their distance that day. I may have to invest in fake stuff for those days when you can't get a shot it because of all the tourists.

Thanks, I have so many funny ones to choose from that I guess I'll just cycle through them.

Thanks for stopping by and looking!

13. Hey James AKA Jim, thanks for commenting. I think I'll be trying to dig out a hat for my jaunt today. ;)

Hi Keith, when I was going through these shots, I was really partial to #1. For some odd reason it makes me think of Christmas, like a snow scene with the grey sky and pine trees (except for the bird). Thanks for the comments on the matting/framing. I usually don't like to use colored mats but in some cases it works.

I forgot to mention in the original post that these were taken with the 300/f4 AFS with the Tamron 1.4x handheld. I'm really happy with the image quality of that combo.