A few of my Nephew

Discussion in 'People' started by AFS, Aug 20, 2008.

1. A bit unusual, I know. I don't normally post photos, though I'm trying to rectify that now.

Sunday, just before the first peripheral effects of Tropical Storm Fay started to hit Miami, my family had a small get-together at my father's house- swimming, laughing, and dinner. We've been doing this a lot this summer, and I've enjoyed them all. This is probably the last one we'll have before I head back up to the University of Florida for the new semester.

One reason I look forward to these so much is I get to spend some quality time with my nephew, Dylan. Now if you've ever seen him before, it's only been once or twice.

[​IMG]

Whatever the case, he's now rapidly approaching age 4 and growing fast. And this summer he learned to swim in a very short period of time. Don't let the scared look fool you, he's quite ambitious... maybe a little too much for his own good? Uncles Lonny and Harrison (that's me!) always get to keep an eye on him.

[​IMG]
    He loves splashing. Whether it's Lucy, Lonny's dog, or Lonny, or Dylan himself, or even me, he always loves it. At the focal length I was at though, DOF is a bit on the shallow side.

Of course, we've had to be very careful with him and the overzealous Lucy. She's a great dog, but at her age she's very...active. We try and avoid keeping her in the pool at the same time or in the same area as Dylan, but accidents are unavoidable. His curiosity got the better of him and Lucy's "Clue" (AKA her paw, he watches Blue's Clues a lot on TV) glanced his finger.

[​IMG]

He was his usual self in no time flat, though. Of course Dylan is very sharp-eyed, and the moment he spots a lizard he bolts straight out of the pool to hunt them. It's scary to see him pull himself out when it was only weeks ago that he couldn't swim at all.
    [​IMG]

I decided to drag my new (to me) 400/2.8 AFS II along and try and get some shots by the pool...the weather and life have prevented me from shooting just about anything with it since it arrived at the beginning of the month. I was pretty happy with the way this all turned out... Dylan is a great subject.

[​IMG]

I hope you'll forgive the rather wide aspect ratio of some of these photos, but I'm trying to start up with cinematography so I've been working to subconsciously compose in ways that work with widescreen theatrical aspect ratios (US standard 1.85:1 in this case).

Hope you like them! He's really one of my favorite subjects ever.

(All shot with D3+400/2.8 AFS II. It was pretty cloudy by the end of the shoot, so ISO went from 320-800, f/3.2.)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    whadda cutie :)

3. KG72

KG72 Guest

Nice. Like the last one the most.

4. EssieK

EssieK Guest

Yea, the last one is my favourite as well. Good looking kid! Nice eyes - my eldest daughter got "wolf eyes" (as I call them) - very blue with a sharp black edge. Can be a nightmare to "capture" correctly :smile:

5. Thanks for the comments!

6. harrison
    awesome shots
    glad you had some FAMILY TIME
    with the 400/2.8?
    where were you standing, my friend?

7. Some were from the upper level of the patio, some from out in the yard, and a bunch from the other end of the pool :rolleyes:

At least I think I can say it's sharp for sure!

8. yes you can
    i just love that lens

9. Beautiful Harrison! I'd say that 400's a keeper. :smile:

10. Thanks Gretchen, I'd have to agree with you there...but I think Dylan is even more of a keeper :wink:

11. well put, harrison..... very well put

12. Oh I'm sure I'll change my mind by the time he hits his teens...but just shy of 4 is a good age :rolleyes: