1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

A few osprey from my trip with Louie

Discussion in 'Birds' started by james thiel, Aug 6, 2018.

1. It has been a month since I went to Central Washington with Louie for an early morning photo shoot of the osprey nest we often visit. We were hoping to watch the young osprey fledge like last year but we were not so lucky. It was hot and there was no wind for the young to do the test flying. We did see one flapping its wings but it did not get airborne. I have been experimenting with processing all in On1 Raw and these were done all in On1. In the past I would start out in Light Room. Let me know what you thing. I am getting more comfortable with On1. All these were shot with the D850 and 600 f4 and 1.4 tc.

1. Incoming parent with fish (note it still had it head on!)
    p2981624433-6.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Landing at nest
    p2981624426-6.jpg

3. My favorite wing position on the adults.
    p2981624353-6.jpg

4. Young waiting for food along with parent.
    p2981624360-6.jpg

5. Just to show the resolution of the D850. This kestrel landing high up in a tree that was pretty far away. I was surprised I could bring even this much detail out. Not the best but a kestrel is still a kestrel.
    p2981672542-6.jpg

It was a short but fun morning. Oh I got up at 3:00 am to get to Louie's house in time to be in position for morning light.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Your early morning efforts were rewarded!!! #1 is my fav - because of the fish head! LOL! Great shooting!

Processing looks fine. Do you use many of the On1 presets? I'm turned off by On1 all the On1 emails and it's reliance on presets and emphasis on stylization. Please tell me I'm wrong! LOL!

3. Karen I do not use their presets at all. I have really just followed the same procedures I use with LR and then in effects add some low Dynamic Contrast and little more than that. The reason I am trying ON1 is because I hate the catalog system in LR and if I ever move a photo I need to do that in LR or else the link gets screwed up. If I leave LR to go into photoshop or another plug in it creates a huge TIFF file. With the D850 these get pretty darn big. I have not settled on this but I am playing around with it. I totally agree with you about all those crazy presets they have.

4. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    I use LR ONLY as a last step - and ONLY for the catalog feature! LOL!

I cull, keyword and process in Bridge/ACR - then PS. I mainly use about 4 presets in Nik Color Efex Pro, then sharpen using High Pass.

Once I have my raw's totally processed in PS as layered 16 bit images, I make the jpgs I want.

Only when I am finished do I import the folder into LR. At that point I am not moving images from folder to folder, etc. LR makes a great catalog......when I'm through with my images! LOL!

5. Karen that makes sense. Do you ever print and if so do you do that from LR? I like printing from LR but I have a Canon Pro 10 model and use the Canon software as a plug in from LR. I honestly don't print much , like in the last 6 months I have not printed at all.

6. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    I don't print anything at home. But Tim Grey has said in the past that he thinks the LR print module is weak and prefers to print from PS. When I want a wall hanger, I create a jpg and then send it off to Bay Photo. Their metal prints are excellent.

7. Nice set, Jim. That D850 and 600 seem to be quite the combo. Did it hurt your eyes shooting in all that sunshine east of the Cascades?

I'm still struggling with the love/hate relationship with On1. How do they store your edits to RAW images? Do they create a sidecar file that you have to move with the image file? Certainly learning to play by the rules in the LR catalog system is a must. If a body can't live with a workflow that fits within that system then it is definitely the wrong tool. Although they keep adding editing features LR is still fundamentally a DAM tool.

8. Terrific set Jim, it was indeed a fun morning. Looks to me as though you've got On1 under control your processing looks fine to me. I don't use LR or On1, only ACR and PS so can't comment in that area.

9. Judging by the wonderful images I would say that the trip was a success. Nicely done

10. Very nice images.I like the size of the osprey in the frames.

I had poor organization skills before going to LR. I do like the LR - PS combo. I have On1 but never really gave it a try(due to liking LR catalog.) You dislike having to move files within LR. For me it is second nature.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Nice set, Jim. I have one comment about the processing, I'm seeing a halo around some of the osprey. Not too obnoxious, but I do see it in #2 and 4.

12. Karen I have used Bay Photo for a large Xposer print. It turned out great. I would use them again.

13. Hard to believe but we have actually had a fair amount of sun on this side of the Cascades. On1 does create a sidecar file that resides next to the image file. I do not think it has a backup option for just the sidecar files like LR does via the backup catalog option in LR if that makes sense.

14. Thanks and I think that may be in the sharpening it applies for the web. I will need to play with that. It is always hard when changing ones workflow and in the end I may stay with LR and PS. Again thanks for the comments.

15. I too use Bay Photo for metals. The quality is excellent.

16. Great Osprey pictures. They are an interesting bird to watch with all the interactions in the nest.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.