A few pics from my trip to Mammoth Lakes CA

Hi everyone. It's been awhile since I posted any new pics but I thought I'd share some from a trip to Mammoth Lakes CA. Because I've been so busy with work, family, and school, my shooting opportunities have been few and far between but I put this on the calendar over a year ago and everything worked out.

We spent a week going to Bodie, Mono Lake, Convict Lake, Silver Lake, the Owens Valley, Bishop, the Bristlecone Pine Forest, and more. It was a great trip and it will take me months to go thru the 110 gigs of photos :) It's a beautiful area and it's not hard to see why Galen Rowell made his home there.

Most of these are HDR. I do a Tone Mapping conversion and then an Exposure Fusion conversion and layer those in photoshop along with various other tweaks. I like vivid colors so they may not be to everyone's liking. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Steve

1. Convict Lake sunrise
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Convict Lake sunrise

3. Mono Lake sunset

4. Mono Lake sunrise - the round white circle at the top is actually the moon.

5. Bodie

6. Bodie

7. Bodie

8. Owens Valley

9. Silver Lake sunrise

10. Bristlecone Pine Forest light painting

11. Bristlecone Pine Forest sunset

12. Bristlecone Pine Forest sunset

Steve -

Great catpures of a gorgeous place. Overall I like your HDR processing. The light greens are a little more vivid than I personnally prefer, but to each his own. Well done nonetheless.

The light painting photo, #10, is awesome!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks everyone. For HDR, I've given up onthe Nik software and I'm now using the latest version of Photomatix. They've tweaked the auto alignment and now it completely rocks. I very rarely need to use a tripod as it can align my hand held shots.

Isn't that one of the most picturesque places on earth? I love it up there. Looks like you found conditions much calmer than when I usually go (very windy). Nice to see the dusting of snow on the peaks.

Great set. I would tone the greens down a bit, but otherwise really well done. I also think the shot of the lanterns would look great in B&W!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom