1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

A few pictures from the Fresno State - Rutgers Game

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by RUNYYFan, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Hello all,

Monday, September 1, Fresno State came to Rutgers University to play the first football game of the year. Below are a few of the pictures I took. These were taken with a D40 using the Nikkor 70-300mm VR lens. Post-production processing was through Photoshop CS3 and the Noiseware Standard plug-in.

There's always room for improvement so I'd like your thoughts on the pictures, both in terms of framing and processing.

Full disclosure: I know some of the shots could be much tighter on the players. There are a few where I wanted to show the play fully developed. For most of the shots, it was full sunlight with zero clouds and minimal humidity. However, there are several toward the end where I was shooting from full sunlight into shadow.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Unfortunately, limited with what you're able to do from that high. When you're in the stands, wide angles are usually better to capture the atmosphere, because you're not really able to capture the action from that high up.

3. I completely understand what you mean about wanting to see the play develop. Since I started shooting football it seems like I don’t get to watch the game any more. In your last shot it looks like Rutgers slipped a WR across the middle and caught Fresno dropping a lineman into coverage. Either way, this looks like it’s a block away from being a big play!

4. Thanks, Adrian. My seats are actually on line with the goal line at the current closed end of the stadium. I almost had a shot of the Campbell TD that was called back except the two guys in front jumped up. Great shot of two red shirts! :biggrin: :frown:

5. Mason, I know what you mean about not watching the game any more. I keep trying to balance both, but it doesn't work that well.

In the last shot, #2, Tim Brown is so short he got lost in coverage and wound up in the flat. The play actually cleared about twenty yards. Don't know why it isn't used more. :rolleyes: 

6. marc,
    you have done well here
    the post-processing is a bit "all over the place."
    the first few are over-saturated
    but.... you had constantly changing light.... do hard with which to deal

thanks for sharing these with us

7. A few pictures from the Frenso State - Rutgers Game

Thanks Greg.

I agree, my post-processing skill is still a work in progress. :Little:

I'm going to try again this Thursday. UNC vs. RU. Being that it will be a night game, I'm sure I'll have a few more challenges. Another learning experience.

GO RU!!!!

BEAT VISITOR!!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.