A few recent pictures from the Smokies

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by sfoxjohn, Jun 15, 2005.

1. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Here are three photos taken last month. (edit)The third one is the "fixed" version as discussed later here. The tree in the lower left was pretty much blocked up in the original.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I would like to have cropped the tree trunk in the lower left of the kayak picture, but didn't want to lose the tree in the upper left since I think it would change the overall effect drastically. I guess that's kind of the price paid for working fast. Maybe someday I can remove it with PS and some innovative cloning?

2. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    John , three very nice photos,and I agree with you on the third one the tree in the upper part needs to stay.

3. John the tree in the lower left corner is very important, it shows that there is danger ahead, that this is not an easy ride. It may even suggest that the river is narrower a little farther away.

I like all the pictures.

4. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Thank you both.

Gilles,

That thought never occured to me. What I should do then is bring some detail to the tree, because right now it looks more like an undefined dark blob to me. If I can do it soon I will post the result.

John

5. John,

Looks good. Where is this place ?

6. Is this in Tennessee, near Gatlinburg? One of the scenes reminds me of the Cades Cove area.

7. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Here is the update with some detail in the tree.

[​IMG]

John

8. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    The first two are in Cades Cove, and the third is somewhere between Sugarlands center and Cades Cove.

John

9. John, i see you retouch the last one, there is a lot more details and the tree look know like it's bent over the river.

10. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Gilles,

Yes. Thanks for the inspiration. As it turned out, all I had to do was dodge a little.

John

11. Very nice shots I love the smokies these are nice. BTW we are neighbors, I live in Cherry Hill

12. Johan

Johan

Jun 18, 2005
    Belgium
    Nice pictures John ... really nice. They all set a great mood and I'm very fond of the composition :)

Keep it up man!

Kind Regards

Johan

13. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Thanks Bryan and Johan.

My own favorite is #2.

John

14. Henk

Henk Guest

Love the images, thanks for sharing John.
    I've got a buddy in Maryville, hopefully I'll make it end of this year to get over. The Smokies are awesome, I want to do the dragon in his 67 'vette ;-)

best regards,

Henk

15. I like these images and find myself wishing they were larger. The first one is my favorite.

16. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Thank you Henk and Gordon for the kind words.

Henk, if you stay in Maryville, you will probably approach the Park by passing through Townsend, TN. This is where I always stay to avoid the chaos in Gatlinburg. Also, it is closest to Cade's Cove.

Gordon, Frank(Flew) clued me in on how to provide larger pictures from my smugmug site. I had been using the medium size files, as here. In more recent posts I have used the "original" size. For instance, in the swan pictures I posted today which you commented on.

John