A few shots at F/0.75

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Harry S., Jun 12, 2007.

1. I used my visit to Michael (mcs) to use my Rodenstock TV-Heligon (42mm) a little bit. There was quite a hype about these superfast lenses a while ago - seems to have calmed down now, so I will stir the lust a bit :biggrin:

Four versions of the same flower (Veronica hederifolia), flowers have a diameter of about 5 mm.

More Zero-DOF pics at
    http://www.pbase.com/rovebeetle/zero

No post-processing except increase of contrast and some selective sharpening.

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

One from last winter

original.jpg

And one of my favorites from a while ago

original.jpg

Cheers

2. Crazy effect, definitely not for me, But how I wish I had the light gathering ability of an f.75 lens for Clubs and concerts!

3. Very pretty and "artsy"

BTW: When you use this lens, you can easily be mistaken for a cyclops :Crunk:

4. Igor

Igor

May 15, 2005
    Ukraine, Europe
    The last one is really awesome Harry, great work!

5. Thanks!

Actually, the first 4 images show pretty well the short-coming of this lens - it has extremely low contrast. Out-of-the-box images look anything else but awesome unless you choose subjects which a priori have strong colors and are well illuminated.

Believe me, in case you could find a way to focus that lens to infinity (which is virtually impossible on a DSLR because of the exceedingly short registry distance), you would not appreciate the results (very soft images). The Leica Noctilux or the Noct-Nikkor would do a much better job for this purpose. However, both are 20-30 times more expensive :eek:.

Wait till I have converted my Rayxar - it will cover most of my face. Well, there are people who would surely state that this would improve my appearance :biggrin:.

Cheers

6. GoGo

GoGo

Apr 20, 2006
    New York
    Thank you

First a thank you for posting!
    The photos are very dreamlike and beautiful, the last is my favourite.
    Very seldom seen photos at this aperture, I can't help wondering what a human would look like at this aperture in very contrasty lighting?

Grazie Harry!

7. Quite unusual!

Harry,

If one did not know it was a photographic image, one could imagine that an extraordinarily talented painter had created these...

8. ...so... any moon shots...??? :biggrin:

Seriously now, what really impresses me is the actually NO DoF and the hazy glares of light :smile:

Good work Cyclops :wink:

9. Thanks for the compliments!

You are joking, but the De Oude Delft Rayxar 50/0.75 is a much sought after lens for deep sky photography. The downside is that you can only use it with custom made film cameras (registry distance is 0.8 mm!!!) or you modify a DSLR by ripping out the mirror :Shocked:, and then still you have to manage to get the rear element of the lens so close to the sensor that it almost touches it - no idea how that should work :confused:.

Cheers

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.