A few shots at F/0.75

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Harry S., Jun 12, 2007.

1. I used my visit to Michael (mcs) to use my Rodenstock TV-Heligon (42mm) a little bit. There was quite a hype about these superfast lenses a while ago - seems to have calmed down now, so I will stir the lust a bit :biggrin:

Four versions of the same flower (Veronica hederifolia), flowers have a diameter of about 5 mm.

More Zero-DOF pics at
    http://www.pbase.com/rovebeetle/zero

No post-processing except increase of contrast and some selective sharpening.

original.

original.

original.

original.

One from last winter

original.

And one of my favorites from a while ago

original.

Cheers

2. Crazy effect, definitely not for me, But how I wish I had the light gathering ability of an f.75 lens for Clubs and concerts!

3. Very pretty and "artsy"

BTW: When you use this lens, you can easily be mistaken for a cyclops :Crunk:

4. Igor

Igor

May 15, 2005
    Ukraine, Europe
    The last one is really awesome Harry, great work!

5. Thanks!

Actually, the first 4 images show pretty well the short-coming of this lens - it has extremely low contrast. Out-of-the-box images look anything else but awesome unless you choose subjects which a priori have strong colors and are well illuminated.

Believe me, in case you could find a way to focus that lens to infinity (which is virtually impossible on a DSLR because of the exceedingly short registry distance), you would not appreciate the results (very soft images). The Leica Noctilux or the Noct-Nikkor would do a much better job for this purpose. However, both are 20-30 times more expensive :eek:.

Wait till I have converted my Rayxar - it will cover most of my face. Well, there are people who would surely state that this would improve my appearance :biggrin:.

Cheers

6. GoGo

GoGo

Apr 20, 2006
    New York
    Thank you

First a thank you for posting!
    The photos are very dreamlike and beautiful, the last is my favourite.
    Very seldom seen photos at this aperture, I can't help wondering what a human would look like at this aperture in very contrasty lighting?

Grazie Harry!

7. Quite unusual!

Harry,

If one did not know it was a photographic image, one could imagine that an extraordinarily talented painter had created these...

8. ...so... any moon shots...??? :biggrin:

Seriously now, what really impresses me is the actually NO DoF and the hazy glares of light :smile:

Good work Cyclops :wink:

9. Thanks for the compliments!

You are joking, but the De Oude Delft Rayxar 50/0.75 is a much sought after lens for deep sky photography. The downside is that you can only use it with custom made film cameras (registry distance is 0.8 mm!!!) or you modify a DSLR by ripping out the mirror :Shocked:, and then still you have to manage to get the rear element of the lens so close to the sensor that it almost touches it - no idea how that should work :confused:.

Cheers