A few shots from the DRays game

J

JMartin

I got a couple free tickets to the Devil Rays game, so Jennifer and I had a nice evening out while Mamaw and Papaw got to have some fun with their granddaughters :p

When I was asked if I wanted the tickets, I thought he said Row C behind the DRays dugout, which had me concerned with foul balls. Turns out it was Row CC, so I was a bit further of the field, which let me concentrate on getting some shots and some nice conversation with the Mrs! One thing I quickly learned... even though it looks bright in that domed stadium, it is anything but!

Some pre-game action - mascot Raymond running over a Texas Ranger cap.
DR-raymond.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Pitcher Scott Kazmir
DR-SKazmir.jpg

Ouch, That has to hurt! This one ended up as a 20"x30" poster on our break room wall at work.
DR-brokenbat.jpg

Strike Three! You had to think by the wincing on Gomes face, he knew it!
DR-strikethree.jpg

Thanks for looking and as always C&C welcome!

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Joe,

You did a very nice job with your sports images. I have received criticism by some pro shooters who both recommend cropping tight, tight, tight!!! I like what you did by widening the shot to show what else is going on in the field of play, which is something that I don't mind doing as well. I understand their point of view and I respect their opinions greatly, but I also appreciate a loose image that shows other aspects of the game.
When you have a moment, can I have some EXIF information on image #2 and #4. I'm curious to know what camera, lens and particulars for each of those two images. Thanks!

J

JMartin

Thanks for the comment Mike.

I was very surprised when I first started shooting to look at the histogram and see how dark the images were. It looks so bright in there but I have having to shoot at a slower shutter speed than I would have liked and was bumping the EV up to somewhere between +3 to +5 and using 800 - 1600 ISO.

Some of the images have a bit of noise, but I don't think it is too bad on most of the images.

Thanks again for the comments,
Joe

J

JMartin

Frank,

Thanks for the comments. I agree that in some cases a tighter crop is better, but I do, as you stated, like to also show some of the atmosphere of what is happening. Not to mention, if I was to crop tighter you would see the noise in these photos since it was so dark in there :tongue:

As for the EXIF data:
Shot #2
Camera: Nikon D100
Lens: Nikon 70-200mm F2.8 G VR
Exposure time: 1/800
F-stop: 2.8
Exposure bias: +3.3
Metering mode: Pattern
Exposure program: Shutter priority
Focal length: 200
Focal length (35mm): 300
Flash: Not fired
White balance: Manual

Shot #4
Camera: Nikon D100
Lens: Nikon 70-200mm F2.8 G VR
Exposure time: 1/1000
F-stop: 2.8
Exposure bias: +4.3
Metering mode: Pattern
Exposure program: Shutter priority
Focal length: 150.0000
Focal length (35mm): 225
Flash: Not fired
White balance: Manual

I still have some processing to do from the game, but thought I would get a few posted to get comments on.

I did have a couple guys at work ask me to sell them some of the photos for their sons when they saw me printing them. As much as I would love to make some money to supply this expensive habit, the rules on selling the photos taken at any pro sporting event are pretty clear and I would not want to take any chances. :cool:

So, I did the next best thing, told them I would gladly give them the prints with the understanding they would have my name, copyright info and web site address on each of them.

Thanks again for the comments,
Joe

J

JMartin

Thanks Gale.

I got a few shots of Raymond, he got on the dugout right in front of us a few times. I just have one question... What the heck is he :biggrin: No one seems to know.

Joe

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom