A few shots from the DRays game

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by JMartin, Aug 27, 2005.

1. JMartin

JMartin Guest

I got a couple free tickets to the Devil Rays game, so Jennifer and I had a nice evening out while Mamaw and Papaw got to have some fun with their granddaughters :p

When I was asked if I wanted the tickets, I thought he said Row C behind the DRays dugout, which had me concerned with foul balls. Turns out it was Row CC, so I was a bit further of the field, which let me concentrate on getting some shots and some nice conversation with the Mrs! One thing I quickly learned... even though it looks bright in that domed stadium, it is anything but!

Some pre-game action - mascot Raymond running over a Texas Ranger cap.
    [​IMG]

Pitcher Scott Kazmir
    [​IMG]

Ouch, That has to hurt! This one ended up as a 20"x30" poster on our break room wall at work.
    [​IMG]

Strike Three! You had to think by the wincing on Gomes face, he knew it!
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for looking and as always C&C welcome!

Joe

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2005
  2. Good job sure is fun shootign a pro event and the lights are so much better than what you find at little league and H.S

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hi Joe,

You did a very nice job with your sports images. I have received criticism by some pro shooters who both recommend cropping tight, tight, tight!!! I like what you did by widening the shot to show what else is going on in the field of play, which is something that I don't mind doing as well. I understand their point of view and I respect their opinions greatly, but I also appreciate a loose image that shows other aspects of the game.
    When you have a moment, can I have some EXIF information on image #2 and #4. I'm curious to know what camera, lens and particulars for each of those two images. Thanks!

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Really nice images. Color and clarity is great.

first one is really neat. lol

5. JMartin

JMartin Guest

Thanks for the comment Mike.

I was very surprised when I first started shooting to look at the histogram and see how dark the images were. It looks so bright in there but I have having to shoot at a slower shutter speed than I would have liked and was bumping the EV up to somewhere between +3 to +5 and using 800 - 1600 ISO.

Some of the images have a bit of noise, but I don't think it is too bad on most of the images.

Thanks again for the comments,
    Joe

6. JMartin

JMartin Guest

Frank,

Thanks for the comments. I agree that in some cases a tighter crop is better, but I do, as you stated, like to also show some of the atmosphere of what is happening. Not to mention, if I was to crop tighter you would see the noise in these photos since it was so dark in there :tongue:

As for the EXIF data:
    Shot #2
    Camera: Nikon D100
    Lens: Nikon 70-200mm F2.8 G VR
    Exposure time: 1/800
    F-stop: 2.8
    Exposure bias: +3.3
    Metering mode: Pattern
    Exposure program: Shutter priority
    Focal length: 200
    Focal length (35mm): 300
    Flash: Not fired
    White balance: Manual

Shot #4
    Camera: Nikon D100
    Lens: Nikon 70-200mm F2.8 G VR
    Exposure time: 1/1000
    F-stop: 2.8
    Exposure bias: +4.3
    Metering mode: Pattern
    Exposure program: Shutter priority
    Focal length: 150.0000
    Focal length (35mm): 225
    Flash: Not fired
    White balance: Manual

I still have some processing to do from the game, but thought I would get a few posted to get comments on.

I did have a couple guys at work ask me to sell them some of the photos for their sons when they saw me printing them. As much as I would love to make some money to supply this expensive habit, the rules on selling the photos taken at any pro sporting event are pretty clear and I would not want to take any chances. :cool:

So, I did the next best thing, told them I would gladly give them the prints with the understanding they would have my name, copyright info and web site address on each of them.

Thanks again for the comments,
    Joe

7. JMartin

JMartin Guest

Thanks Gale.

I got a few shots of Raymond, he got on the dugout right in front of us a few times. I just have one question... What the heck is he :biggrin: No one seems to know.

Joe

8. Really nice, excellent detail and color. My favorite is #3.

9. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for offering the EXIF info, Joe...much appreciated!