A few shots from this morning at Jones Beach

Discussion in 'Birds' started by DiverX, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Had a couple hours to see if I could get some Warbler shots this morning at Jones Beach here on Long Island. Not a large variety but a few nice looking birds anyway;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All shot with D2x, 500mm AF-S, x1.7, ISO 200, iTTL fill flash @ -2, Gitzo 1326, Wimberley Head

2. Hi george.

very nice work.
    Sparcling colours and tacksharp.

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Excellent shots all George, but the first is a stunner. :smile:

When do we get to see some more from the dark continent? :wink:

4. Thanks guys! :smile:

Dark continent? :rolleyes:

OK, this weekend. I was planning to get to work on the rest tomorrow eve and then Saturday and Sunday.

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Well that's what they used to call it in the old scifi books. Maybe no longer appropriate. :redface:

6. Just kidding, still called the same as far as I know.

7. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

George - These are great shots, especially the first which is gorgeous. How far from the birds were you? Did you wait for them to come to you, or did you sneak up on them? As you might guess, I'm not ready for the little guys in the woods! :frown:

Gordon

8. Great shots from a great location.
    Jones Beach is one of my favorite places. Never thought of it for birding except for the ones with 2 legs and no wings :biggrin:
    If you don't mind what lot?
    Wife is from Freeport LI me from Staten Island we favor 4 or 6 but that was for swiming after hours when the parking is free :biggrin:

Rich

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Absolutely beautiful.

How do you get those tiny birds.

10. Hey, thanks again! :) Glad I dropped in before shutting all this down!

At the spot we went today, the woods are very close to the parking lot. In fact one fellow throws seeds under a tree there which draws lots of sparrows and in turn I guess some other birds show up. We just stood there and waited and eventually they get used to your being there and land close by, in fact one landed on my lens today! :)

Rich, this is the furthest WESTEND beach, past the coast guard station, I think they call it west end 2 but nor sure. You pass the coast guard station and not too far down is a exit which curves around and enters the lot on the south side of the road, we just park there and walk around in the center divider of the west bound and east bound lanes which are pretty far apart and lots of warblers hang it in the woods in between. Today we just hung around near the car in the parking lot. YOu will usually see lots of birders there.

I think the birds I shot here were maybe 30-50feet away tops!

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I think I want to move back home to Long Island :>)))

12. Just gorgeous what detail these are stunning. I saw these over on the dark side forum and noticed a man named Bob Lang gave you grief well dont take it personal he attacked me yesterday and even though I am usually pretty reserved I had to let him have it.

13. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Little fatties and very sharp
    well done