1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

A few snaps of some family..and me :)

Discussion in 'People' started by lr0868, Sep 27, 2008.

1. lr0868

lr0868

May 25, 2008
    henderson, nv
    So I am trying to learn the finer points of portrait/people photography. I have a new found respect and admiration those of you who do it so well, it is NOT easy.

So here are some attempts I did today to start the learning process, I plan to ask questions regarding lighting, soft boxes, filters etc to get the best results.

All taken with the 17-55 and C & C is greatly appreciated as I know I have alot to learn.

1 my boyfriend David mugging for me...well really spousal equivelent we have been together about 8 years :eek: 

dsc_43993.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. David and his niece

dsc_4410_filtered2.jpg

3. my sister in law and niece

dsc_44052.jpg

4. and me...mind you I HATE pics of me, but this one was not too bad after a little PP so what the hell:smile:

dsc_4418copy2.jpg

2. Hey, Lisa,

You have a great-looking family! And I can't imagine why you would be resistant about having your photo taken. You look just fine... although your resistance shows on your face a bit. :smile:

On your first shot of David, you missed the focus a bit. It looks like his upper lip is perfectly in focus but his eyes are a little soft, so are his ears. If you're shooting at f/2.8, you might want to close down the lens a bit to give yourself a little deeper field of focus. With the D300 you can use the second (middle) focus selection and move the focus point around until it is placed exactly where you want it. Go for the eyes, usually the closest eye to the camera.

Much better focus on the second shot, probably shot a a higher f-stop. Good contrast and shutter speed froze the movement of the child. David's casual and relaxed smile looks really nice and you just can't beat the beauty of a child for making great images.

On shot three, you used fill flash. Your on-board flash? I'm guessing so because the shadows are right behind the subjects. Did you go to flash because of the shade of the tree or a lower-light time of day? Normally, the 17-55 can capture the light dynamics in shade quite well without flash. Notice that your sister-in-law's teeth and blouse have blown out, lost detail because of the light overload. If you encounter a low-light situation, try raising the ISO or going to the Shutter priority, using a slower shutter speed. The fill flash here gives an artificial quality to the shot.

Your image, on the other hand, looks very natural and nicely lit with ambient light. Your white shirt is awfully light, almost blowing out, but not quite. In PP, the exposure might be reduced slightly, or lights and highlights tuned down a bit. Your flesh tones also look a little light. It feels to me like your face needs just a bit more shadow to give it more dimension. It seems a bit flat and that often is caused by too much light, so the shadows disappear.

All told, from an exposure point of view, I think the second shot is the best. You've also captured the personality of the child and a really nice smile from David. The others need a little work, but this is a very good first try with lots of useful experimentation. You're getting it! Keep going!

3. pr549f2678

pr549f2678

Jun 26, 2007
    central Fl
    Hi Lisa,

Very nice pictures of the family and David, you really like the 17-55 so it
    seems, I'm going to have to go back and start using mine more often.

Phil...........:smile:

4. lr0868

lr0868

May 25, 2008
    henderson, nv
    Doug thank you thank you for the wonderful feedback!! This will definitely help me for my next pics.

Phil I just got it and so far am happy, obviously I still have a bit of learning to do still but it gives even an amateur like me decent pics so far.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.