A Few this Week From Wildfowl & Wetland Trust

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Dave Rosser, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Here are a few pics I took at WWT Slimbridge this week. The first is of one of the real wild birds that visit here in large numbers - a black tailed godwit. This was taken, as were all the pictures here, using my D1H with a Nikon 80-400 VR

Some of the truly wild birds are a bit more tame like this Blue Tit and you can get quite close.

We also have a lot of feral geese like these Barnacle Geese arriving at opening time to panhandle for handouts off the visitors all day.

There are of course Canada Geese.

and greylag geese

As well as 800acres of internationally protected wetland reserve WWT Slimbridge has an 80 acre collection area containing waterfowl (and flamingos) from all over the world. We have for instance Black Swans

and Coscoroba Swans

I'm just off to Slimbridge now to see a rarity (Baird's Sandpiper) which turned up a few hours ago before the place is overrun by twitchers.

2. Dave these are really nice! Look at that reflection in the eye of the Canada Goose close up!! And your Black Swan is just great! Love the composition on the last swan, too!!

3. Very well done shot the shots of the swans are the best thanks for sharing

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice Dave. I like them all, especially the Swans and the formation of Canada Geese. :wink:

5. Thanks all for your kind comments.
    Just spent an hour scanning the mud flats on the River Severn but no sign of the Baird's Sandpiper, probably decided it does not like the UK and is heading back to the USA :lol: