A few with my new 300 2.8

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Firelarz, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Firelarz

Firelarz

Feb 26, 2006
    Chandler, AZ
  2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Larz,

Kinda hard to tell for sure with these small images. Can you post one with a 850-900 pixel width?

3. Firelarz

Firelarz

Feb 26, 2006
    Chandler, AZ
    [​IMG]

Ok Frank try that. I had to renew my pbase account.

4. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

red x ...

5. Firelarz

Firelarz

Feb 26, 2006
    Chandler, AZ
  6. What sort of shutter speeds were you getting? Aperture? (Mind you the 300 should be rasor sharp wide open and maybe ever sharper at f4)

It is a big hunk of glass and with a D2Sx probably about 10 pounds or so. If your shutter speeds are under 1/300 you may be seeing just the tiniest bit of "jitter" - either muscle strain or mirror slap (especially in the 1/10 to 1/30 range). You may need to step up to a tripod, a remote release, MLU and long lens technique to get the best out of the lens at slow speeds.

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Nice pics
    I took one to NC4.4.2 and hit it with some sharpening and a tad bit of saturation.
    Looks good

8. Hi I don't think they look particularly sharp even for F2.8 I know that my 300AF-I f2.8 is sharper than my old AFS f2.8 wide-open and both of these seem to be better than the sample you have posted.

Phillip.

D2x 300mm AF-I nikkoe f2.8 @f2.8 1/2500 iso400 hh no nr and usm set to normal in cam argb colour mode3 in hsc mode
    [​IMG]

9. I always seem to have to use a tripod for my 300 2.8. I think it would take a bit of practice, or VR, to really get tack sharp images with that setup. There are techniques, like holding your breath, bracing yourself with your arms close to your body and a good wide stance, etc. I just use a tripod:tongue: It is a great lens and it handles TC's with ease.

Cheers
    nancy

10. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

i dont think it was user error.... he shot that picture at 1/1250 of a second at f/2.8..... Do birds fly fast enough to need a faster shutter speed than that ?

11. No, that is about the right SS, but hand holding technique is so critical! I find it difficult to HH that lens. It is just too heavy for me. With that kind of light I use my 70-300VR, perfect for HH.

Nancy

12. I would think some PP is needed as they do seem a bit on the soft side on my monitor. . Why not try doing a few and put them side by side for your eyes to see.
    Lou

13. Firelarz

Firelarz

Feb 26, 2006
    Chandler, AZ
    I used a monopod for these shots.

14. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

ok ok ok here is the bird so everybody can see.....It looks GREAT if you ask me....

Look carefully at the feet, you did pick up a little bit of motion blur whether or not it was caused by the monopod or a really fast bird is completely unimportant at this point

Jeeezzzz

1/1250 @ f2.8 shot from MONOPOD ......

larzbirdblue.

15. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I believe that if you would have shot at a faster shutter speed, your GBH would have been tack sharp.

16. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Larz,

You are correct, these are not as sharp as I would expect from the 300 2.8. I haven't followed all of the details of your post like I should, but my experience with the 300 2.8 AF-S II (100K + shots) indicates that this is one very sharp lens when the shooting settings are set up properly.

Depending on how close you are to the subject, I recommend aperture settings of f5.6 to f8. The lens may be very sharp at settings below these values, but the DOF will result in less than ideal sharpness for birds as large as the GBH. Here are some examples that I got with my AF-S II.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The lens definitely has the potential. You just have to get the right combination of settings and technique to get the best possible results. BTW, all of these were shot from a tripod. The aperture on each was f7.1 I believe.

17. I second all of the above:smile:. Tripod and practice, but I would say most of my shots are with f5.6 to f8.

Cheers
    Nancy

18. Firelarz

Firelarz

Feb 26, 2006
    Chandler, AZ
    Maybe that is where I went wrong. I shot at 2.8 and did notice I had alot oof.
    Thanks for the tips, I will surely give them a try.

Larz

19. Firelarz

Firelarz

Feb 26, 2006
    Chandler, AZ
    Frank you think faster than 1/1250 is needed? With the lens at 2.8 or any f stop?