A few with the new D2X from Sequim Washington and Juanita

Discussion in 'Birds' started by james thiel, Jul 22, 2005.

1. We just returned from a great trip to the Olympic Rain Forest and ocean. Along the way we stopped at a Bed and Breakfast near Sequim, Washington for a few days. This area is known for having lots of eagles. Unfortunately they were all in hiding except for one pair I managed to capture from a far distance in the morning light. What we did see were lots of little song birds, shore birds and the California Quail and some deer. The California Quail are very shy and hard to get to sit still long enough to get a picture of. These were all shot with the D2X and Sigma 500 f4.5 lens.

original.

View attachment 12450

View attachment 12451

View attachment 12452

View attachment 12453

View attachment 12454

2. Lisa

Lisa

May 3, 2005
    IL
    Jim:

These are fabulous! I know what you mean about the California quail, as I used to live in CA and saw them many times but you managed to get a really nice shot of one. The eagles are simply breathtaking. I'm going to MN in a couple of days with the sole purpose of finding a few of these myself. Wonderful capture of the black duck..nice detail in everything. Black birds are difficult for me to capture let alone in the water. Lovely photo of the elk(?) and nice capture of the two birds.

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    what can I say but Beautiful.

I'm jealous

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Excellent series James. I love the Quail. I've never seen one of those in person. Well shot. :wink:

5. These are all very nice but the eagle shot is cool. They're such majestic birds. The one has "the Viera guv'ner" pose (remember the GBH posted earlier?)

The deer shot is very nice, too. The coloring in the shot is very different.

6. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    James

I kinda like them all....., especially considering that you caught some spur of the moment, not your everyday behavior on a couple of them :)

7. Sounds like you had a great trip Jim. You also got a lot of great shots while having a great time.
    Pete

8. Thank you all for your very kind words. I have so far to go but it sure is a fun journey getting there. Lisa I see you have some great shots of the goldfinch. This was something I really wanted to get a picture of. I remember seeing so many as a child . They are so colorful.

Gale you have nothing to be jealous of. Thanks for the compliments.

Frank, I too like the Quail. Very hard at least for me to get pictures of as they are so fast. One of the best pictures I have seen of one was the one Rory posted a while back.

Kevin, when I saw the eagle pose I said it sure looks like the one of the GBH. Pretty funny to see. The deer was shot near dusk and I had the camera set to auto WB. I kind of liked the result so I did not change it.

Jim, thanks for looking and commenting. I would love to find some owls to photograph after seeing your beautiful images.

Thanks Pete. We did have a great trip and feel pretty lucky to live in such a wonderful place.

9. Great love the first bird and the quail is gorgeous thanks for sharing and goo dluck with the d2X

10. Thanks Mike, I have so much to learn it kind of numbs the old mind.

11. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Nice series, Jim! Hard to pick a favorite -- they're all wonderful -- but I'd lean toward the Black Duck or Quail.