A Filter Question....Hey Uncle Frank!

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by kccheers, May 17, 2005.

1. kccheers

kccheers

May 2, 2005
    Liberty, Mo
    Dude, I'm gettin' a .....28-70 2.8! Now I have a question for you, or anyone else that would chime in, about filters.
    I at least want to put on a filter for protection, correct, maybe a UV, etc? Or, is there another "all purpose" filter that I should be looking at?

Thanx in advance.......watching for the Brown Truck.....Hey, is that Dale Drivin'?

cheers from KC

2. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BEAST Club. I keep a Nikon 77mm UV Haze L37C filter on the front of all my lenses most of the time.

3. strobel

strobel

Apr 30, 2005
    Algonquin, IL
    I just can not see taking an incredible lens and putting another piece of glass (that was not designed to be there, originally) between it and your shot. The only thing I use on mine is a CP when the shot calls for it.

Just my 2ยข

Ron

4. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I have stopped using UV filters for lens protection, relying instead on the lens hood. The main reason was that I found that flare was significantly greater with the filter in place - especially with my 12-24 Nikkor.

5. I stopped using UV filters too. The only time I put one on now is when I'm in a nasty environment (sand is a big one) and have concerns that the front element could get damaged.

6. I too do not use filters on my lenses, even though I happen to have them. I don't like anything that has the potential of degrading the fine glass I own. Course I am pretty careful with my lenses and perhaps if I were in a dust blowing area I might reconsider.

7. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Hi,

I wear a UV filter on the 18-70mm and yesterday bought the Sigma 24mm 1.8 together with a UV filter. From the postings I see that there are two issues:

1. Protecting the "expensive" glass - and thereby perhaps degrading the pictures with flare etc.

2. Reducing haze - which would improve the picture quality.

Now I'm shooting in a nasty environment. Some days (like today morning) we have a hot desert wind coming from the Sahara, often with tons of finest dust that creeps into everything. Also, the sky can be real hazy.

Generally the light here - especially now that the summer has come - is extremely strong, and the sky is mostly hazy.

Now, my 18-70mm lens already has some dust inside it, as I can see when looking into it from the front. It doesn't seem to be a problem with the pictures, at least not yet. I also don't see a way how a filter could help here, since the dust probably creeps into the lens through the focus and zoom rings.

Strong light, dust, haze - seems like there are pros and cons to the use of filters. So here some practical questions that may help me use the filter in the right circumstances (or avoid using it):

1. If I'm careful with the lenses, do I really need a filter to protect the glass (under the above conditions here)? Without filter, dust will settle on the lens glass - does removing it with a micro-fiber cloth cause scratches?

2. Does the UV filter (anti-haze filter) really reduce haze? The companies producing these filters show pictures to show you how good they are, but do they really matter on a DSLR? (I seem to remember that haze issues are related mainly to film cameras, as DSLRs use an anti-aliasing filter to reduce UV light, which is supposed to reduce haze isn't it?) By the way, I have a D70.

3. Does the UV filter add to chromatic abberation?

4. Will filter-induced flare be a general drawback of filters, or is it more of a problem with certain lenses or types of lenses (for example a wide angle lens like my new Sigma 24mm, or the 18-70 at the wide angle end)?

5. There have been other issues mentioned with filters, such as vignetting, image sharpness (or lack of it), perhaps even AF focusing issues. Any suggestions / thoughts / recommendations on that?

Whooo - I apologize for coming up with so many questions, but I still have a long way to go to get a little understanding of how to get a better picture. (I won't be hurt if you suggest me to sell the D70 and get a point&shoot, which might be perhaps the better/faster way for me to go.)

8. marc

marc Guest

the nikon l37c, is basically nothing more than a cover for the front of your lens

it will help to filter some uv

other than that, it affects picture or lens quality 0

i think if you ask, most professional photogs, they keep these filters on all of the time on every lens they have

there is no photo effect

i have filters on every lens, and it is the first thing i ask for, after lens purchase.

the plastic lens hood, does not protect, it is used to provide shadow and light protection

why do you want to keep the expensive lens unprotected, scratch the glass and lens bye bye, scratch the filter and buy a new one

you decide

9. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Thanks for your reply. Marc!

A friend of mine who's been a professional photographer for some years suggested to remove the filter from the Sigma 24mm f1.8 on low light shootings. He thinks that this could increase flare. I actually wanted to give it a test tonight, but a cold prevents me from going out. I'm doing some pictures of Jazz performances in a pub - very small place and very crouded, with extremely low lights. I have to shoot at full aperture and ISO 1600, in addition to relatively low shutter speed of 1/20 or maximum 1/30. No flash allowed. So I'm a little worried about the filter getting in the way.

I appreciate your recommendation, though. I will keep the filters on, and remove them maybe only under such conditions where flare might be a problem. In the pub mentioned above, I can hardly prevent the light source getting into the picture, so I probably cannot get rid of all the flare - just reduce it to a minimum.

All the best,