A first try at Herons...

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
After seeing all the great Herons people take I decided i had to try it as well
The first one is a rather common Heron plasticus, to be seen in lesser gardens at all times of the year, does not scare easily so it is an easy subject for even inexperienced photographers like me
45038389.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This one was taken down by the Cowichan Bay River here in Duncan on Vancouver Island, it on the contrary to the first one, flew immidately, and I was desperately trying to follow along, with some settings being a bit off, interesting depth of field effect was what I intended, is the comeback comment....
View attachment 10676
and this one as well
45037178.jpg

Very very nice.

I do like the effect on the 2 GBH very much.

the first one is a very unusual Heron to me. Never have seen one.

thank you for sharing.

New birder.. You are hooked now :>)))

Nice catches Andreas. I think that you can see now why this is such an addictive pursuit.

Welcome to the ranks of the flying birdie shooters.... :wink:

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
Yes but boy is it hard to catch them while ethey are flying! Not many keepers of all those shots, what is your ratio: How many shots does it take to get a good one?

andreas

i saw the first pic and dang near choked on my soft drink. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! Then thought, maybe he is trying to decoy ;-) .............but you put it together, really like number 2. It is a whole new ball game shooting birds in flight. Was getting pretty good with my d2h, but my d2x is a whole new ballgame...........biggest key is keeping that shutter speed up. Im usually good on the big geese, but you get those little duckies at 50 mph, dang their fast. Ask Frank. LOL...................but when you get one, o' it feels good!!!!!!!!!

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
I couldn't resist the plastic heron, got to have a little fun with you guys. # 2 is my favorite as well, looks way better in full resolution but it is a little soft in focus - probably the lens or a tiny bit of motion blur.

Thanks for the nice comments

Keith said:
i saw the first pic and dang near choked on my soft drink. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! Then thought, maybe he is trying to decoy ;-) .............but you put it together, really like number 2. It is a whole new ball game shooting birds in flight. Was getting pretty good with my d2h, but my d2x is a whole new ballgame...........biggest key is keeping that shutter speed up. Im usually good on the big geese, but you get those little duckies at 50 mph, dang their fast. Ask Frank. LOL...................but when you get one, o' it feels good!!!!!!!!!

I always take my hat off to photographers that capture flying birds. I have not been very successful in doing that. I did get a kick out of your decoy.

Nice captures Andreas. The first one was just too funny. I really like the second shot. After shooting with you and Bill on the Skagit I broke down and bought the Sigma 500 4.5 just like his. I am learning how hard it is to acquire moving birds. I can't imagine how much harder it must be with that 800mm!!! Hope to be able to meet up with you again sometime when you are back in the Seattle area.

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
Thanks james,
So you succumbed to LLD (Lens Lust Disease) :) :D
Sorry to have inflicted such wounds in your wallet.
The 800 is challenging to say the least, does not work that well with the D2X much better with the D2H....

james thiel said:
Nice captures Andreas. The first one was just too funny. I really like the second shot. After shooting with you and Bill on the Skagit I broke down and bought the Sigma 500 4.5 just like his. I am learning how hard it is to acquire moving birds. I can't imagine how much harder it must be with that 800mm!!! Hope to be able to meet up with you again sometime when you are back in the Seattle area.

andreasb said:
Yes but boy is it hard to catch them while ethey are flying! Not many keepers of all those shots, what is your ratio: How many shots does it take to get a good one?

andreas

Andreas,

I missed your question yesterday. My keeper rate is all over the place. Some days, I can't miss, and some I can't seem to get a decent shot. It mostly depends on the available light, the contrast on the birds (darkish bird with spots of white, etc.), and of course the speed and size of the bird.

You did well on these. Keep it up and you'll be ready for your own NG special. :wink:

Nice shots, Andreas! That Heron plasticus must have multiplied too fast! I found this one at the Mercer Gardens this weekend. Went there to photograph flowers and couldn't resist the bird :lol: They sure are an ugly cousin to the real thing!! :lol: :lol:

45037989.gif

Latest threads

Top Bottom