A Fishy Eagle Shot

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Jim Strathearn, Nov 19, 2005.

1. Went down to Conowingo Dam this morning to look for eagles. I asked Linda if she wanted to go with me and she asked me what the temperature was. I told her 27 degrees. She told me no... :rolleyes:

Both these shots are cropped about 50%. I didn't realize that the eagle in flight had a fish until I got home and looked at the images. I guess I need one of those BB things so I can get some light on these backlit birds... :wink: The second one was just sitting there as I walked by. Both shots taken w/the D70 and 80-400 VR, hand held at f/6.3. I should have dialed in some negative EV on the tree shot.

45111838-L.

45111836-L.

Attached Files:

2. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Good shots Jim. Those bald eagles would be much easier to shoot if they didn't have that white head.

3. LOL! Thanks Harry.

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Beautiful captures, Jim. Love them both...but the second image is special. The branch through the frame is really great and the colors of the leaves against baldy's feathers is so sweet. Great shooting.

5. both very nice Jim. The second is excellent!
    dave

6. Thanks Frank. I was pleasantly surprised that the bird sat long enough for me to maneuver to get a clear shot. As soon as I extended my monopod he took off!

7. Thanks Dave!

8. bfjr

bfjr Guest

2nd one for me too, Jim
    lucky you to catch him :wink:

9. Thorgal

Thorgal

May 2, 2005
    Belgium.
    Excellent colors and fine detail. Very good work here!

10. It's always exciting to see an eagle and moreso to capture him with the camera. These are great shots, Jim!

11. Nice captures Jim.

12. Thanks Ben. Now, all I have to do is get them to dance to Kung Fu music... :eek:

13. Thanks Thorgal.

14. Thanks Kevin. I had heard that these guys are down at the dam but never saw them there. I'm hoping for some more opportunities to photograph them before they move on.

15. Thanks Jim.

16. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice captures Jim. These guys make the hair stand up on the back of my neck (heck, I have to admit it, they even bring a little tear to the eye every now and then :rolleyes:).

Magnificent animals. :smile:

17. Thanks Frank. I saw my first one on the wild just a couple of weeks ago. You are correct; absolutely magnificent animals...

Thanks for looking!