A fishy tale....;-)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Flew, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I went over to the Guntersville dam with fellow Cafe mates Greg and Chris Sunday, with the intention of shooting some GBH's. We did get some GBH shots, but for the first couple of hours the weather was miserable. So, while no birds were flying, I just shot what was there, which in this case as local fishermen. There were a bunch of them, but for the most part, one gentleman was doing all of the catching.

This guy pulled huge bass after huge bass in. He was having a blast.
    [​IMG]

The fighting fish:
    [​IMG]

Finally subdued:
    [​IMG]

The gentleman that caught the fish didn't want to keep them, but this guy certainly did:
    [​IMG]

And finally, these guys were fishing right up next to the dam. They caught the biggest fish I've ever seen in fresh water. Shot at ISO 1600 BTW:
    [​IMG]

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    WOW Flew.....
    Those are great.. Fishing is so much fun..

Bet you will give them some pics, they are really great.

Wonderful compositions.

3. Howdy Frank

Cool shots Frank, I luv fishing ;-) R those bass though, look real close but? then again Im a trout fisherman. LOL............. nicely done and enjoyed the series!!! 400mm would have been way too close for you :p :p

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Keith,

The fisher guys said that these were striped bass. I have to take their word for it, since I'm not a fish person. :roll:

I was shooting at 420mm (300 2.8 + 1.4 TC), so I'd say that a 400 2.8 would have been just about perfect. 8)

5. Excellent shots Frank. The first and last images belong in a fishing magazine.

6. dont have striped bass up here, just regular large and small mouth, makes sense and pretty sure your right on striped. Neat looking fish and looks like fun :!:

As far as the 400mm, dang you got me on that one! :oops: :lol: :lol:

Now how about those hats :p

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Keith,

Oh yeah, I meant to mention that we are looking into Paypal right now, for folks just like you (and me as it happens). 8)

8. 2nd time I've visited but still see "Maintenance in Progress" instead of photos. Boo hoo. I'll check back later. ;)

9. me too on the maintenance thing, but ill be back

10. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Nice shots Frank -- I especially like the second one. BTW: that doesn't look like an especially large stripped bass. I grew up along the Hudson river where the minimum size for a keeper was 27 inches, and 36 inches was considered a nice size.

11. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Nice series, Frank! Another good example of great results when shooting what's available because your primary subject isn't cooperating!

12. I like em Frank. striped bass (Rockfish) they fight like hell but when subdued they are exhausted to the point of death in some cases. The sharpness and details in your pictures is GREAT!

13. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Mmmm good eatin and good shootin Frank :)