1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Critique A Florida Gazebo

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by gnagel, Jan 1, 2019.

1. I captured this one during my last road trip through Florida:
    p3250288250-5.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This picture presented some technical challenges. My lens was positioned very close to the foreground leaves. So, even at narrow apertures, it wasn't possible to get the entire scene in focus. I set the aperture at f/9...which yielded a shutter speed of 1/10th of a second and focused stacked a few shots. But, that didn't work either. The leaves in the front were blurred due to the wind.

So, I captured an additional exposure at 1/250th and opened the aperture up to f/7.1 (just so that the ISO wouldn't have to go too high). The ISO ended up at 1000--not too bad. Rather than use ISO 1000 throughout the entire frame, I applied it only to those leaves in the very forefront...the rest of the image is at ISO 64 at the slower shutter speed of 1/10th.

Another consideration was trying to remove some of the glare off the foliage. This was more critical for the color version of this image. I attached a polarizing filter to the lens.

Thanks for looking...and reading!

Glenn

• Like Like x 1
  2. It looks beautiful in B&W too !

3. Excellent work, Glenn!
    Beautiful composition and b&w processing!

4. Thanks again, Binnur
    Thank you, Bart...much appreciated

Glenn

5. Great b/w look with this one. Thanks for the tutorial as well. Washington Oaks, a nice place to shoot owls in the Spring and less than 15 minutes from my house.

6. Thanks! I was impressed with Washington Oaks. Then again, I love the oak trees.

Glenn

7. Little park down the street. I have shot there a few times. The beaches and local culture are why I love this area. Great little dives on the beach to eat with Mala Compra and St Augustine nearby I have a catalog full of one of a kinds. The Hurricanes have really taken their toll on the costal side of the park though. Try Princess Place for a different laid back atmosphere, free.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Stunning scene, Glenn! After reading all your technical figuring of the shot, I needed a few minutes to rest in the gazebo!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Though the description of everything you went through to capture the image is very interesting, it's the light on the gazebo that makes the image. Well done!

10. Thank you...I'll have to add it to my notes for future visits. I'm back home processing images at this point.
    Thank you, Dossy...
    Thanks Mike

Glenn

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.